Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 11:54 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: coil overs

ORIGINAL: own a peice

if i got coil overs would i need any other part to go along with it or can i just put them on
Sounds like you are going to lower the car, so....
Get a camber kit for the front and back, unless your car has adjustable camber correction from the factory. Get ready to get an alignment done after you finish installing the coilovers. I would also suggest aftermarket shocks, I recommend adjustable shocks. Stock shocks or OEM replacement shocks may not last as long.
I understand if you are on a budget but nonetheless, do it right the first time or you will end up unhappy or spending more time on them, than you may have wanted to or both.

...and yes, real coilover conversions normally cost more. For example, Ground Controls go for around $399 from the site...they're Eibachs race springs btw. No, you don't need to spend that much on coilover conversion kits, but you will spend more than $150 on a real set. That is if you get a real set. If you buy "eBay" coilovers, like the ones that cost under $100, you will be very unhappy because you will most likely bounce all over the place or you will hit the bump stops while driving over pebbles. Those eBay coilovers are for show and they will lower your car but give no added suspension performance.

...and yes, real coilovers are stiffer because they were meant to be. Think about this, coilover springs are half the length of regular springs and because of that, they have to be stiffer to compensate for the shorter length, otherwise your suspension will just reach the end of its stroke very quickly and the springs will not complement the shocks ability at all (all the work will be forced onto the shock, which it is not designed for) and you will just bottom out everytime you go over a bump, a dip, a pebble....
If you are looking for near stock feel, then I recommend that you stick with lowering springs and aftermarket shocks.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:45 PM
racindirt35
Rookie

Well if ur doing that to the car. Its going to be a smooth ride up till you hit a imperfection on the road. Like the other day I was cruzing along in mine and I nailed a pot hole man it really made the car sound like it got hit. Also watch out for ur front bumper cover it will tend to scrape and break off pieces on a steep down hill.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:28 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: own a peice

The coil over kit is 118.12 and it is from racepages.com
Those are just sleeves...a REAL COILOVER kit costs about $1000.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:46 AM
own a peice

thanks i will keep looking for the right think now so i dont regret it later

Old 10-16-2006, 04:09 AM
DNeon
Professional

hey Das, I was jus lookin at your pic...was wonderin if you knew how much your car got lowered to? not sure if you did it yourself or not. anyway reason for me askin, thas the height I was goin for, for my car an was jus wonderin if you ever bottom out or scrape your front end, cause it doesnt look that way from your pic lol

Old 10-16-2006, 05:59 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: das2123

Those are just sleeves...a REAL COILOVER kit costs about $1000.
That's not a conversion kit, that's just a real coilover, lol, and that's correct real coilovers will cost anywhere from roughly $700-to infinity and beyoooooond.

Moral of the story...
coilover conversion kits = sleeves with springs
coilovers = shocks where the sleeves are a part of the tube and it comes that way from the factory.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:23 AM
spudsterier
Legend

i would get real coilovers.....then 20's

Old 10-16-2006, 11:26 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: DNeon

hey Das, I was jus lookin at your pic...was wonderin if you knew how much your car got lowered to? not sure if you did it yourself or not. anyway reason for me askin, thas the height I was goin for, for my car an was jus wonderin if you ever bottom out or scrape your front end, cause it doesnt look that way from your pic lol
I have the Mopar High Rate springs on there which lower the car about 1-1.25". The front air dam hits EVERYTHING, but the car doesn't bottom out.

Quick Reply: coil overs