1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 08:23 PM
lambo_murciƩlago200
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny swap

i have a 1996 dodge neon automatic and i was wondering how much would it cost to change it to a manual? i think i should be able to buy a pretty good used one from a junkyard,but its from my understanding that not all parts are good to be used on another car,its just better to buy them new. so if anyone knows all the list of parts i'll need it will be greatly appreciated..and a estimation on the a price will be helpful also.. that way i'll know if its worth it to change it or just buy a new one (i have some paint missing on the roof,the oil hasn't stopped leaking since the day i brought it,the rear struts needs to be replaced,and i need a bottom front engin mount(its bent badly) and new speakers,and a stereo,not to mention the battery termonal is cracked,and the fuel system needs to be drained,i also need new injectors,and well i'll leave it at that..would my hunk of junk be better off in the junk yard orshould i try to do something with it?

oh and with some help and the right tools,do any of u think i could possibly do the tranny swap by myself,i dont have a prob with taking things apart and putting them back together again..

Old 10-16-2006, 08:39 PM
HabitatHxC
Captain
Old 10-16-2006, 09:52 PM
ZiggyNeon
Veteran
Default RE: tranny swap

thats an expensive tranny swap my junkyards qouted me from 500-700 for all the parts 500 being my lowest price so far. and if you gonna do it yourself then labor is free minus some busted knuckles and beer but a shop should be able to do the swap for you for about 700 dollars (another local qoute i got)

Old 10-17-2006, 02:47 AM
lambo_murciƩlago200

i'll look into doing it,another thing i need is an engin mount(its bent from doing nurtral revs and slaming it into drive when i first got the car and didn't know any better as it was my first car) and i need some rear struts but other then that it hink its alright..if i could just get rid of this oil leaking prob(been leaking oil since th e day my mom brought the car)[>:] i really dont want to go and buy a new car,i got the insurance on this car really really cheap and once i get it swapped to a manual it wont be so hard on gas, and then hopefully i can get a bigger engin..would be nice to get a srt-4 but who knows,i'll just have to see

Old 10-17-2006, 03:02 AM
HabitatHxC
Captain

ha ha just before you swap out the tranny go out and have some fun with the tranny since its already wounded! Neutral drop the **** out of it till it jumps around in the casing!

Old 10-17-2006, 04:31 AM
ZiggyNeon
Veteran

wheres the oil coming from like what part of the engine is it leakin near?

Old 10-17-2006, 06:24 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

do a reverse slam and spray it with a 50 shot of NOS right as its about to go into drive from 40mph in reverse!, its funny but **** breaks pretty quick

Old 10-17-2006, 06:56 PM
lambo_murciƩlago200

lol,i sooo plan to do tear the living hell out of the tranny b4 i swap it..or if i get a new car i dont think imma sell it..i might inter it into a demalition derby..great fun there,but with my engin mount bent,im afraid if i do that too many times it'll drop out of the bottom of the car or something lol..just incase that happens..if i do keep it..how much is a good srt-4 engin?? lol anyone know where im giong with this lol..

and oil,to be truthfull with you, my mom brought the neon in 95 but it had just been rolled off the truck earlier in the day..it had less then 5 miles on it..well,we started it up,took it for a test drive,we didn't push it or anything with it being a new car..well we signed the papers and brought it home,parked it int he gauarge and the next morning we pulled it out and there was a big puddle of oil..(dad was pissed,that he had just put 5k down)so, we checked the oil,it was like a quart low,we put more oil in it and drove it back to the dealer and they put it up on rack and said they'll have it fixed in no time.

they threw us the keys and said probs all fixed,we took it home and parked it..nothing happend for the next 2 days.
backed it out and what do ya know,another oil spot..yet again we took it back,they kept it for a few days,saying they sent up to detroit to get parts for it strait from the factory..well,we got it home,the leaking stopped for almost ~almost~ a week and an half and i'll be damnned if it didnt start again.. right then and there they should have taken the car back and said they wanted a new car from the lot ,i think its has something to do with the lennon law or soemthing like that..but they didnt' so its been leaking oil every since. since i took it to my mechanic he was able to slow the leaking down enough that i only have to put oil in it once or twice every couple of weeks or so. and it appears to be leaking right around the oil pan right up front,around the seals but then again i did see it leaking somewhere else so ionno..im not mechanic lol. all i know is if i take something apart i can put it back together again,as far as knowing what its called im no expert

Quick Reply: tranny swap