1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

advice on some 95 SOHC problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006 | 10:06 PM
press1280
Default advice on some 95 SOHC problems

OK, it looks like the rear main seal is leaking-I've got oil coming down around one of the bolts on the plate that separates the engine and tranny(I'm assuming this-LMK if it could be something else). I don't want to spend a bunch of money throwing in a rebuilt or take a chance on a junkyard tranny. Should I get a rebuilt kit and do it myself? Keep in mind I've never done this before, the existing tranny has never had a problem before(except for leaks which I should be able to take care of relatively easily),and I'm not in any kind of hurry to get this done,so I can take my time. Also,do I need a hoist and/or any other specialized tools?
Also,is there any way to tell whether the head gasket has been replaced with the MLS type? Other than regular oil leaks I haven't gotten coolant in the oil or vice versa,no smoke from exhaust exc. I'm just thinking since it has 110,000 miles that either its just crazy luck the original has held up or its been replaced at some point. Car was acquired used.

Old 10-29-2006 | 11:02 PM
winsettz
Veteran
Default RE: advice on some 95 SOHC problems

I believe between intake 1 & 2 there should be a "rivet" which sticks out if you have a MLS gasket for SOHC. For DOHC it's between intake 3 & 4.

Old 10-29-2006 | 11:42 PM
pimpberetta
Veteran

It could be a couple things. Have you noticed oil in that general area before?

Such as some on the oil filter. Just like a thin layer all the time.

My car always had that never knew where it came from.

Turned out to be the camsahft seal had popped out of its pocket.

Old 10-30-2006 | 01:07 AM
winsettz
Veteran

Anyhoo, I found the site on how to ID an MLS gasket:

Here.

Old 11-04-2006 | 12:23 PM
press1280

Actually yes-there would always be an oil drop waiting to come down from the bottom of the oil filter. I'll have to check again since I just changed the oil pan gasket,filter and engine oil. When I'm under the oil pan(my feet sticking out of the front of the car),I also see small amounts of oil forming on the right hand corner of the pan(toward the back of the car),but only when the car has been running for a few minutes.The other area is of course at the trans bolt-just seems to appear there,must be coming from behind which is I'm guessing the rear main seal. There was quite a bit of oil splattered all over the place so I guess its possible some is just loose oil thatfalls down,but I doubt that's the case of the oil on the trans bolt(it seems to be a decent amount).

Old 11-04-2006 | 01:58 PM
das2123
Legend

Typical leaks are:

*Camshaft position sensor
*Rear Main Seal
*Valve Cover Gasket
*Oil pressure sending unit
*Oil pan gasket

Old 11-08-2006 | 04:59 AM
Youngstown97Sohc
Professional

das , you forgot the somewhat less common crackshaft(or is it camshaft) seal... the garage i went to rang it up as an "o ring" , but simple visual inspection shows its actually a seal.gasket type deal-e-o...

hova

Quick Reply: advice on some 95 SOHC problems