1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

cv joints

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 05:03 PM
dubbz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cv joints

Does anyone know a good way to check the cv joints. My 96 has 100,000 miles on it and is starting to make small noises coming from the front end under load. I jacked it up and all seems well,
pulled on the tire top to bottom and side to side, seems pretty tight. Control arm bushings are worn about what you would expect for the mileage.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:58 AM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker
Default RE: cv joints

do you see any cloggy-looking grease where the axles and the transmission meet? if not you wont probably see the wear until u pull the axles out..but if its making a horrible clicking sound every time you turn, yea u might wanna get em fixed.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:54 PM
LivinNstiX
Default RE: cv joints

the joints go bad from hard acceleration and cornering with lots of applied torque, check the rubber boots. There is a boot on each end of the CV axle at the transmission and at the wheel, either end can go bad. if the boot has a hole in it or the clamp came off they can run outta grease.

if that all looks good then listen for the clicking when turning... if its clicking i recommend getting new/used ones very soon the clicking is a problem and if that axle comes apart it gets worse!

check it out let us know

Quick Reply: cv joints