1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

loud knocking noise under the car

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 02:13 AM
xlogix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud knocking noise under the car

i've heard it twice and both times it was while it was raining and i was driving down the road. It almost sounds like something is rattling but it's just so loud...i haven't gotten under the car to check for loose exhaust piping but thats my next plan. And my muffler is showing it's age with rust holes and if i'm in park of neutral and gas it and let it fall back to idle you can hear the muffler sputter on the way back down....exhaust leak?

Old 11-15-2006, 02:58 AM
winsettz
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: loud knocking noise under the car

As for rattling it could be almost anything that gets loose over time.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:04 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my step dads 99 neon sport ran real bad when it rained out and it hit some puddles.....it would knock and smoke real bad....then i would shut it off and let it sit for a couple minuites and it would run fun.....if i remember right i think the cause was the EGR valve, but im not positive since it was almost 5 years ago.....but either way, it was because sumthing was getting wet

Old 11-15-2006, 12:49 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is probably your answer...

This happens when substantial water splashes onto the exhaust piping, causing it to cool suddenly and thus distort. If it is not tightly secured in all of the rubber hangers, the pipe may rotate enough to vibrate against the sheet metal heat guards under the car. The resulting noise should disappear when the pipe returns to a consistent temperature and resumes its original shape.

Quick Reply: loud knocking noise under the car