1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

This car drives me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 12:19 AM
jewells3404
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This car drives me nuts

Ok so i bought a 98 dodge neon in july cuz i only had about 3 days to find a car cuz i wrecked my other one. well whomever had it b4 me i don't think kept up on maintenance cuz a few weeks after i got it, when i would turn my AC on it would smell like something was burning but of course i thougnt no biggie cuz i live in the city so i thought it was the air there. well i tokk about an hour trip one day and when i got home i parked my car and noticed the engine was steaming so i took it to get my oil changed right away.

well they told me that my car was leaking oil but i have 2 jobs and go to school so i didn't have time to get it fixed. Now my AC doesn't work and neither does my heat, does it have anything to do with my car leaking oil? and how much does it usually cost? i'm so broke right now cuz of Christmas and school

Old 12-11-2006, 12:55 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: This car drives me nuts

doupt it would have anything to do with the oil leaking... for the AC the compressor might be bad...

for the heat...with our red Neon we had to get the heater coil replaced...and my parents took it to a crappy mechanic and well...one day in dead of winter the heater stopped working because water leaked into a part of the heater that it wasn't supposed to go and it froze and we had to get it replaced... so it could be the heater coil...or could be the switchs...how do the switches feel? and have u checked the fuses?

Old 12-11-2006, 12:56 AM
winsettz
Veteran

"Steaming engine" makes me worry about the engine cooling system...

How's the head gasket? Best to figure that one out sooner than later.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:06 AM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker

one way of telling you got a bad head gasket is water or antifreeze in the oil...or the temp might raise frequently. so i think you're good on that end knowing that most neons that were made after 96 have the MLS style head gaskets..

Old 12-11-2006, 10:56 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt be worried about the heat, its the a/c that you need to get fixed right awayj/k

might wanna check and see how the coolant level is....make sure that there is some in there

the burning smell and smoke was probally the oil leaking onto the exhaust

Quick Reply: This car drives me nuts