1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

whats next?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:57 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: whats next?

crane 12 cams arent much of an improvement over stock.....if your gonna spend the money then i would atleast go 14's.....no less...

hey dazzellerr,
is that an actual intercooler in the front bumper????? or a photoshop????
im glad my intercooler doesnt look like that[&:]

Old 01-04-2007, 10:12 PM
casper
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much are you looking to spend? Do you want a bolt on? there are a lot of things that you can do to improve performace that will go right into the turbo set up. You can do anything from plugs and wires, port and polish the intake and or head, cam, rebuild the bottom end. Its all how much you wanna spend, how much you can do yourself, and where you wanna end up with the car.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:19 PM
mmench
Captain

well i can do it all myself. i have all the basic s already and i can spend whatever i need to cuz its just a project race/weekend car. the only thing i dont have is p+p and a cam. then the turbo. i was just trying to fond turbo compatable parts that are worth the money now.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:27 PM
casper
Legend

If you have the bolt ons, and its not a daily driver, I would go with a motor rebuild. Its gonna be some coin, but it will be worth it when you get that turbo on, you will be able to push higher boost and the motor will not blow apart. Modern Performace has a good basic bottom and top end performace kits. I have a good engine shop that I trust that I get all my stuff from and does all my internal motor work, but those kits are good. Other than that the cam or a mega squirt are good investments. If you are going turbo grab the Crane #14 or #16 if you are gonna run high boost. You can run them without the turbo, you are gonna be real loopy on the idle and the car is gonna run rich, but it won't hurt the car.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:32 PM
mmench
Captain

i was planning on the rebuild this spring. how strong is the stock crank though?

Old 01-04-2007, 10:38 PM
casper
Legend

You are supposed to get 300hp out of it without it snapping. If you are not gonna run high boost (12-18lbs) You should be fine with the stock crank. Myself I would use a forge crank just for the simple reason of then I know its not gonna snap, I am sure you can immagine the damage a snapped crank can do to all your beautiful work, lol.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:44 PM
mmench
Captain

yea i seen that happen first hand all to many times. would u recomend anny company for the crank?