1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

FUBAR Electrical System

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Neon_2ner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FUBAR Electrical System

Alright, my 1997 baseline SOHC is screwed to hell and back. Driving out to my reserve weekend last friday my car started acting stupid about 30 minutes into a 40 minute drive. First my speedo would drop, then come back online, drop, wiggle, come back, wiggle drop, then it quit completely. Next my left turn signal indicator would come on, very dim, and then would activate my signals, then activated both signals, and I look like a giant rolling ***. After pulling off to the side of the road in fear of my car exploding, I would let the car run for a little bit, still having turn signal issues, if I went to complete the circuit, the car would die, if I turned on my headlights, the car died, if I looked at the car, it would die. I've tested the fuel pump and the ignition coil and everything is fine, everything is getting power like it should, and the fuel pump is delivering, the fuel rail is carrying, the injectors are firing. One of the things I noticed when the problem started was a low whirring noise, followed by a relay click after turning the key to the "ON" position. Needless to the say the car will turn over but not start.

MIL Codes: 12 (no shish), 42, 43

Old 01-13-2007, 08:25 PM
HabitatHxC
Captain
Default RE: FUBAR Electrical System

Just so happens sometimes the battery cable isnt seated properly, After replacing my head gasket, i went to turn the key and "POP"... nothing, then after i got the battery terminal all the way down she fired up! It may not be your problem but any idea is an idea! good luck

Old 01-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Neon_2ner

well we seated the batteries well, after some testing it seems like the PCM and the Camshaft Position Sensor aren't communicating, some crossed wires explain the screw up with the lights, because lights do run in line with the ignition.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:33 AM
romeo21
Professional

read about the cluster on the top of the forum in the most populer that might be your problemthats just an idea good luck

Old 01-15-2007, 02:44 AM
kris95neonspt
Professional

I had a problem somewhat similar to that problem and it turned out to be a broken wire that went from the alternator to the starter my did the same problem with the gauges and everything at first it tought it my computer. But it was just the end on the cable was frayed and not getting a good connection to it.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Neon_2ner

I'll inspect that wire as well, thanks for all the help gentlemen!

Quick Reply: FUBAR Electrical System