1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

oil question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 11:56 AM
asbel
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil question

ok heres a few questions about oil and my car hopefully someone here can help me out.

1) i just changed my oil yesterday and when i took off the cap i saw some filmy white stuff and when the oil was finishing draining there was some at the very end. now ive had this problem once before. about a year ago roughly 8000 miles ago. ive had one oil change between then and that was fine, no white filmy stuff. i didnt know what it was but the head gasket was replaced about 15,000-20,000 miles ago the previous owner told me that it had been done. so im ruling that outfor now. now im wondering if anyone knows here. any ideas will be appreciated.

2) i have another question about my oil. on really cold mornings when i let my car warm up in the morning, when the temperature guage starts to go up my oil light will come on and when i push on the gas it will go off.ive been told its the oil sending unit and i have been using a little more oil than normal since this has been happening. now if anyone knows what it is it would be really helpful. and if it is a really serious problem that i need to get fixed ASAP or if i can wait about 1-2 weeks when i get some money to do something about it.

I've had a brand new radiator, PCM, and valve cover gasket. another bit of information is that when i went to get my car inspected about a month ago the mechanicc told me that there was oil all over the back side of the engine lol did i mention how much i love this car.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:26 PM
neonracer1010
All Star
Default RE: oil question

that would be water in your oil
either your head is cracked, your block might be cracked, or a blown head gasket.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:57 PM
asbel
Rookie

ok thanks for the advice. should i take it to a garage and have them check all those for me or is there any way i can check for them myself ?

does anyone know why i didnt see any white filmy stuff in the last oil change? it seems to come and go....

Old 01-18-2007, 06:27 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any oil in your coolant? Oil on the backside of the engine could be a couple of sensors leaking.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:51 AM
asbel
Rookie

no there is no oil in the coolant i have been checking for that for a couple of days now. and i havent been loosing coolant either.

i just need to get under my car and get to the back side of the engine so i can check it out. it has just been too cold and lack of access to a heated garage. i might be able to do that today. just 1 question, is the oil sending unit below the headers on the back side? because i looked yesterday and i couldnt see it from the top in the back its just the valve coiver then the exhaust headers. and is it in the middle or off to one side?
and if anyone can post a link of a picture or something that would be awsome.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:10 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your oil sending unit is above the oil filter.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:05 PM
asbel
Rookie

ok cool thanks ill take a look at it when i jack it up to investigate on an exhaust rattle.

Quick Reply: oil question