1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

oil leak help

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:04 PM
turd_herder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak help

I have a '96 Neon, 2.0L SOHC with a manual transmission. It has developed a major oil leak within the past few days.

I drive the car approximately 10 miles per day, to and from work. I'd estimate that oil is leaking at the rate of 1 quart per day.

I crawled under the car today, and the leak appears to be coming from what I assume is the oil pump - located in between the oil filter and the serpentine belt.

I am not particularly mechanically inclined - I can replace spark plugs, change oil, etc. This is my go-to-work car, and as such I cannot afford to be without it for any length of time.

1.) Is this a relatively simple repair ( drop the oil pan, replace pump ), one that I could do with basic hand tools and a manual?

2.) Is the pump likely to fail "catastrophically"? Can I keep dumping oil in it and drive it to work until this weekend? The oil light doesn't come on if the car has the proper oil level in it.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:18 PM
fullbuilt
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: oil leak help

thats a little more involved than that, if you find someone who knows what their doing it could take only 3 hours. with the mechanical level you claim to be at i would find a pro to do it or help you

Quick Reply: oil leak help