1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Transmission question need hlp ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007 | 12:36 AM
booger32907
Default Transmission question need hlp ASAP

hey guys i bought a 95 neon that was got flooded a wile back the motor was siezed but tranny fluid looked clean, the shifter stick was broke. so i bought a new motor that will be here tomarrow in the am. but i took the tranny off and even what should be park the output shaft where the cv's bolt up still spin if you turn it buy hand. i thought there was a park pin that stopped that. my question is with the tranny off the motor and in park should i be able to spin the output shafts?

Also i took the motor and tranny out through the bottom of the car would it be easier to put them back in through the top?

Old 01-23-2007 | 12:05 PM
das2123
Legend
Default RE: Transmission question need hlp ASAP

Not sure about your first question, maybe spudsterier knows. But I'd put the engine and tranny in thru the top.

Old 01-23-2007 | 12:39 PM
spudsterier
Legend

ive had a few neons that when sitting on the groudn you couldnt turn the shaft...but when sitting up on jack stands, then you could spin them.....

it is always easier to drop the motor and/or trans in through the top....unless the whole suspension is off the car....but i still prefer to do it through the top

Old 01-23-2007 | 01:27 PM
booger32907

ok so just bolt it up and and see if tranny work or not? i got $75 into car and $350 into motor,so worst is it runs but dont drive and ill sell it.

Old 01-23-2007 | 01:58 PM
tranyinstaller
Professional

with the engine disconected sure enouph that shaft will spin in park if both wheels are off the ground, or for that matter even if only one wheel is being held still. but if both wheels are held in position park rod will not alow any movement, and thats the same for all (that im aware of) transaxles.

Old 01-23-2007 | 03:31 PM
booger32907

ok thanks yeah i wasnt sure,im used to my RWD chevy/ford, this is the first FWD motor swap ive ever done, i was just starting to get mad cause when i turned one the other spun backwards no matter what gear it was in. Thanks for the info.
just to make sure i got it where the cvs go into the tranny if you spin one by hand the other will spin backwards no matter what gear/park its in?

also is there a way i can see if the tranny is good or not without going to shop? or atleast get a hint if its good or bad. the tranny fluid that was in the torque converter looked good, kinda dark but no water or rust or nuthin. havnt dropped the tranny pan cause i was waiting to put it back in car first.

Old 01-23-2007 | 11:06 PM
tranyinstaller
Professional

for the cv axle question yes if u spin one the other will go opposite, and for and auto trans. to find out if it is still good the best way to check aside of driving it ( which u obviously cant without an engine) is to drop the trans. oil pan. inspect the fluid condition as well as the magnet in the bottom of the pan. u should expect their to be some matterial on the magnet. it will be like a super fine steel powder. so fine that when u get it on ur skin it will stain ur hands, this stuff is normal to a certan extent. if u find any metal chunks on the magnet be wairy. this usually means hard part failure. smell the trans. fluid and inspect it. it should be ( depending on how many miles are on it) transparent red. if there are 15,000 or more miles on the fluid then it will be slightly browned. smell the fluid if it has a strong smell of smoke that would be burned clutches. either from the gears or from the torque converter. hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Transmission question need hlp ASAP