1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Power steering pump freezing

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 09:50 PM
langemr00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump freezing

Hello everyone Im new to the forums but I've been looking around for some help or opinions on a problem I am having with my son's 1998 Plymouth Neon. Any help or feedback from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
Anway my son drives a 1998 Plymouth Neon with the L4 2.0 Liter Fi, ECB 122 CID Vin C O.H.C.- SOHC and Im thinking we are having a problem with the power steering. When you turn the wheel hard left or hard you can hear a loud squealing noise from under the hood. At first I thought maybe it was the belts but after popping the hood and checking I realized that when the noise happens you can see the power steering pump completely freeze up. Luckly enough the belt slips so I'm hoping not to much damage is being done.
Anyway Im wondering if maybe its the power steering pump or maybe something else causing this. Anyone's comments whether good or bad are greatly appreciated.
Thx

Old 02-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Default RE: Power steering pump freezing

If the power steering pump pulley isnt moving when you turn the wheel I would say that you need a new pump. Are you sure that the belt isnt loose? I would check this first but if you are sure that it is the pump then go to the parts store and get a new pump for I believe around 80 bucks. You should go to auto zone though because they are the only ones with loaner tools and you need a special puller to take the pulley off the old pump and put it on the new pump (new one does not come with one) GOOD LUCK!!

ps I would also suggest changing the belts when you do this, especilly the V-belt that drives the PS pump since it was locking and burning off rubber.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:00 AM
langemr00

Hey many thx on the fast reply. Yeh the power steering pump spins till you turn it hard then it stalls so it's still drivable aslong as you dont make that hard turn heh. I did check the belt and its on there pretty tight as that was my first thought. Im checking around for power steering pumps as I thought the same thing and I am gonna prolly go ahead and change it out this weekand and will report back.
Again thx

Old 02-07-2007, 01:48 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the fluid level? Is it correct? If so, and the belt checks out OK, then you would need a new pump. Not a bad job to DIY.

Quick Reply: Power steering pump freezing