1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

What is this part?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:40 PM
MakinationZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this part?

My 96 neon recently had a incident with some road debri and totally broke off this plastic box. my auto knowledge is limited so I was trying to figure out what the part is and how harmful the accident was.

The actuall plastic box is hanging underneath the car but the small coiil wire coming out of the object in front of the
master cylinder to the left is holding it. (master cylinder cap is on the far left-yellow) The part I'm not sure what it is, is right in front of that. and then the part i would also like to know what it does is hanging from the. There is another wire it is connected to that goes off into the brake booster.
If anyone could give me direction, for I am terribly confused.

LINK: http://i2.tinypic.com/4532fqr.jpg

One more question: What would cause one brake rotor (specifically the passenger side) to grind and not the other? The shoes/pads seem fine.

p.s. : If i don't make sense , I appologize I've had little to no sleep. :X

Old 02-07-2007, 07:48 PM
johnneon
Captain
Default RE: What is this part?

question#1 i dont know im guessing a vacuum for cruise control but not 2 sure,,,,lol,,question #2--wheel bearing if the brakes r fine check ur wheel bearing

Old 02-07-2007, 07:57 PM
fullbuilt
All Star

the two things i see is the main fuse battery relay and the cruise controll or is it somthing elseas for the second question it could be a bad composit to the rotor or you could just have a heavy brake foot into your left turns or air gaps into your left calaper will cause your right to work harder

Old 02-07-2007, 08:00 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What part are you talking about?

Old 02-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Beauff
Amateur

Theres a box with a wire & vac hosegoing to it. Its inside upfront underneathdrivers side fender. Its held on to the frame with two clips or one I can't remember. My daughter had a mishap & that box was hanging. The clip would not hold it up any more so I zip tied it up. I don't think that you harmed it but you need to get that box back up there so that you don't rip it off. I'll take pictures & tell you what that box is & what it dos tomorrow. The kids are at work right now & they have that car.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:08 PM
neisg1
Veteran

Ok the round object in front of the master cylinder is the cruse control vacuum transducer the cable on the metal end connects to the throttle. The other (plastic) end has a vacuum line that is connected to the plastic box you are referring to under the car. That box is a vacuum reservoir for the cruse control. On my 1995 neon it is mounted in front of the wheel kind of under the bumper cover. The 1996 may be somewhat different as the transducer on the 1995 is under the battery. I had to replace the vacuum reservoir on mine I think it was around $35_$40 from dodge.

Quick Reply: What is this part?