1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Oil still leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:53 PM
Jens17
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil still leaking...

I'm off tomorrow and I plan to hit this all day long. I've picked up the two cam shaft oil seals just in case that is the problem. The oil is coming out from above and behind the timing belt back cover. I think that Jr Mechanic is right. Anyway, I'll take a look at the crank sensor when I have everything apart. I'll let everyone know what I find after I'm finished.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Jens17

Sweet Success!!
This is a very strange engine. The forward cam shaft oil seal was completely out of its socket. The rear cam shaft oil seal was fine. The oil was running out of the open socket and down the front of the engine. It then leaked out by the oil pump giving me the impression that the oil pump was leaking. I replaced both and replaced the water pump while I had everything apart. I have never seen an oil seal pop out like that before. There are no provisions to keep the oil seal in place so I hope that this one stays in... I also inspected and cleaned the oil pressure relief valve. Hopefully I can drive this around for another 80,000 miles without any problems.

Thanks for the help JR Mechanic.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Hey. Glad I could help. You really should have looked into the brackets I was talking about to hold them in, but if they are able to go like this for X amount of miles they should be fine. good luck on future projects!!

Quick Reply: Oil still leaking...