1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

need help i got codes now what

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 06:50 PM
fostina1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help i got codes now what

code 15 no speed distance sensor signal, whats that, wheres it at

code 42 automatic shutdown relay circuit open or shorted, or fuel pump relay control circuit, or fuel level unit - no change over miles

code 43 peak primary coil current not achieved with max dwell time, or problem in power module to logic module interface, or cylinder misfire.

i got 43 twice

65 power steering switch failure

where do i start with these codes. some problems i know of
oil in the spark plugs, i know to replace tube seals could this be one of the codes
sometimes speedometer, gas hand and odometer dont work.

it just started sputtering pretty bad , father in law says its probably the fuel pump.
any ideas.

thanks for the help
chris

Old 02-19-2007, 11:45 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: need help i got codes now what

The code 15 is your Vehicle Speed Sensor going bad on you. Replace it...it sits vertically in the transmission and is help in by 1 10mm bolt.

For the code 42, I'd check your fuel pump relay and ASD relay to make sure they are good. An easy check is to swap it into the horn relay spot and see if the horn will still honk. If it does, the relay is good...if not, it's bad.

43, change your plugs and/or wires and inspect your coil pack for any cracks.

65, replace the switch.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:03 PM
racerx55
Record Breaker

when the VSS goes bad the power steering switch tends to throw a code sometimes.. i would replace the VSS for sure, plugs, then reset the PCM and see if the light comes back on

Old 02-19-2007, 03:30 PM
fostina1

ORIGINAL: das2123

The code 15 is your Vehicle Speed Sensor going bad on you. Replace it...it sits vertically in the transmission and is help in by 1 10mm bolt.

For the code 42, I'd check your fuel pump relay and ASD relay to make sure they are good. An easy check is to swap it into the horn relay spot and see if the horn will still honk. If it does, the relay is good...if not, it's bad.

43, change your plugs and/or wires and inspect your coil pack for any cracks.

65, replace the switch.
vehicle speed sensor, is that easy to get to? im going to library tomorrow to get the haynes, or chiltons book?

i checked my relays in the horn relay, they all worked fine.

i will replace the vss first then check codes again for power steering switch. is the power steering switch the same as a power steering pressure switch? couldnt find one on autozone.com

thanks for all the help everyone

Old 02-19-2007, 03:36 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The VSS is pretty easy to get to. Might need a long extension to reach it if you are short. Be careful when you pull up on the sensor as the speedo gear is attached to it. Don't let it fall into your tranny or you will be ripping it apart to get it You will swap the gear onto the new sensor, you may have to splice the wires if you get one from Autozone instead of an OEM one.

Quick Reply: need help i got codes now what