1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Head Gasket Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 08:51 PM
BarnOwl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket Questions

I've been reading the Haynes manual and this forum while trying to do this job and I'm pretty far along and almost ready to pull the head off but, I do have a few questions. Part of my concern is based on what you'd do on Saturns which I know a lot better than Neons though there are a lot of similarities. All of this seems to be omissions in the Haynes.

[ul][*]Do I need to take the camshaft pulley off to get the head off? If not, how does the back side of the timing cover come off?[*]Are the head bolts TTY (Torque To Yield)? Should I replace them?[*]The Haynes shows everything being done at TDC. On an interference engine, I'm a lot more comfortable doing this kind of work with the pistons positioned where they won't interfere with the valves then getting the valves at TDC and rotating the crankshaft to TDC to attach the belt. I'm especially concerned about this because if I do have to take the cam pulley off there's a good chance that I'll turn it a little. Is there a good position for the crankshaft to do this?[/ul]
I appreciate any help I can get. I've already used this forum for a lot of valuable info.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:54 PM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Head Gasket Questions

i guess to get the timing cover off....u gotta take the camgear off....but dont reuse the head bolts.....u should get new ones.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Questions