1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Any Trick For That Lower Motor Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:09 AM
BarnOwl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Trick For That Lower Motor Mount?

I'm trying to replace the lower motor mount. The one that goes under the radiator. All Advance gavve me was a round insert to go in it. I was able to get the old one out but, I can't get the new one in. Is there a trick to this???

Old 03-11-2007, 11:58 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker
Default RE: Any Trick For That Lower Motor Mount?

use a bigger hammer?

Old 03-11-2007, 01:46 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or a vise

Old 03-12-2007, 02:34 PM
5.0LTREATER
Rookie

A real pain in the backside. When you break this one, and you will, go the cheaper route and buy a 11 dollar tube of windshield urethane and fill the mount. You will have to let it cure for at least 24 hours in 70 plus degree enviroment. It stiffens up the mount but will not transfer as much vibration as a solid mount.

As for getting the new "insert" into your old mount; try putting the metal part of the mount, (not the new insert) in the oven on about 150-175 degrees for about 20 minutes. This will slightly expand the mount so it should be easier to install the insert. Wear leather gloves so you can handle the mount when it comes out of the oven.

If you want to prevent having to take it off again, go ahead and fill the mount with the windshield urethane.****NOTE**** Do not get the bright idea to quick cure the urethane. I can tell you from experience this is a bad idea. the urethane swells to about four times its normal size and never really sets up. BIG MESS!! I will let you use your imagination as to how I know this. The little lady was pissed, the house smelled like *** & cookies, and I had to dig all that crap out and redo it. Not a fun day at the local Neon house.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:51 AM
illegalneon

THE OVEN TRICK WORKS REAL WELL, BUT JUST AS HE STATED EARLIER ***PLEASE USE LEATHER GLOVES!!!****

Quick Reply: Any Trick For That Lower Motor Mount?