1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

engine chugs on startup and runs like ****!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:01 PM
micahman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine chugs on startup and runs like ****!

ok everytime i start my engine it runs like ****! atleast for the first 30 seconds until i hit the throtle to rev it up. first of all i have no check engine light or any cluster lights come on. i changed the plugs, wires, coilpack. when i took the plugs out they looked kinda blackish and were kinda moist. like it was getting too much fuel. if i rev it up for like 10 seconds or so or drive it rightawayit runs normal but i can tell there is a miss here and there. this car is a 98 4cyl 2.o sohc and the motor has 70k miles on it. what do you sugest i do to figure out what its deal is.

all the help in advance is greatly appreciated.
thanks, Micah

Old 03-12-2007, 12:00 AM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker
Default RE: engine chugs on startup and runs like ****!

replace the bulbs on your cluster....im sure the problem you have is is throwing off an engine code...

Old 03-12-2007, 12:13 AM
micahman

ORIGINAL: FastNeon84

replace the bulbs on your cluster....im sure the problem you have is is throwing off an engine code...
no when you start the car up they all light up. anyways i know they all work cause they have went on in the past. i did the obd2 and got the codes 43 and 44 and one was the battery tray sensor temp thing caus ethe sensor was hangin when it shouldnt have been and i fixed that and the other is a multiple cyl. missfire, like i said i changed the plugs wires and the coilpack. what should i do to diagnose anything else?

Old 03-12-2007, 02:20 AM
stratman2

Micah, I have '96 Stratus 2.0L that does the same thing (occaisionally). In my case, the car starts and runs like total crap for 5-10 minutes, and never a check engine light - so I understand your frustration! How can this not be detected by the computer? (No - my light's not burnt out either...)
I too have have replaced all the usual things (plugs & wires) and droveoff a tank treatedw/ fuel injector cleaner (the Chevron/Techron stuff is rumored to be good). When the problem occurs, it idles rough and I can feel a miss/bump while maintaining speed - usually not very noticable when excelerating. You may be interested in this other post too. https://dodgeforum.com/m_261946/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Does anyone know if the computer may store relevant codes which donot light the CEL? (I'm wondering if I should go get mine scanned somewhere just in case?) Anyhow, best of luck, and please keep us posted - you're not alone!
-Scott

Old 03-12-2007, 02:27 AM
micahman

there is an answer for this and i want to know what it is

Old 03-12-2007, 12:22 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull your fuel rail and see if its clogged. That will trip a code 43.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:21 PM
5.0LTREATER
Rookie

Just went through this. Clean the IAC valve. (Idle Air Control). It is on the throttle body. Excess carbon causes it to stick. Remove the throttle body. There are two 8 mm bolts holding it on. Be very careful, if you try to just unbolt it you will break these bolts. They are full of locktite.
When removing these bolts place the throttle body on a solid surface. Take a box end wrench and put pressure on the bolt to loosen it. Don't even turn it but about a 1/16th or a turn, then tighten it back up. Keep doing this back and for motion and it will come out. Be very patient.
Once you have the bolts out clean everything with carb/throttle plate cleaner. Make sure to clean the port in the throttle body also. You will see how the IAC seats in this port. Clean out all the carbon. Clean the IAC plunger completely.
Put everything back together just the way it came apart. You should see a dramatic difference, wnd the elimination of the problem you are discribing.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:20 PM
micahman

ill; have to try that later tonight. i will let you know how it goes and report back to all of you. just today i was driving it and i had the check engine light come on. i got a code 43 again

Old 03-13-2007, 04:38 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Known problems for a code 43 that I have seen or heard are:

*spark plugs - Champion Copper spark plugs RC9YC
*wires
*coil pack
*bad intake manifold gasket
*bad fuel injector
*clogged fuel rail
*fuel filter
*fuel pump
*bad rings
*cracked filler neck (let water leak into the gas tank)
*TPS
*IAC
*water in fuel

Old 03-13-2007, 04:46 PM
micahman

ORIGINAL: das2123

Known problems for a code 43 that I have seen or heard are:

DONE*spark plugs - Champion Copper spark plugs RC9YC
DONE*wires
DONE*coil pack
GOOD CONDITION*bad intake manifold gasket
*bad fuel injector
*clogged fuel rail
NEW*fuel filter
WORKS*fuel pump
GOOD COMPRESSION*bad rings
NOT CRACKED*cracked filler neck (let water leak into the gas tank)
WORKS FINE*TPS
*IAC
4 TANKS OF GAS SINCE I GOT IT AND IT HAS DONE THIS*water in fuel
SO I GUESS THAT LEAVES THEIAC WHICH I WILL TRY TO FIX TONIGHT OR JUST CLEAN IT UP OR THE INJECTORS AND THE RAIL.

but i dont see how it can be the injectors or the rail if it works fine after like 30 seconds or so. i mean like if i get in the car start it, it chugs bad and miss fired like its runing on two cylendars. then if i give it gas it revs up and still miss's andthen i can put it in drive and drive away andwithin 100 feet it runs fine, so it seems.

i bet it is that iac. like i said i will try it later and post what i notice or find.

Quick Reply: engine chugs on startup and runs like ****!