1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

need help, idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 04:36 AM
jfjohn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help, idle

Hi , got a 97 neon sohc. the idle has gone crazy. now when I start it up, it revs immediately to 2k. before this, I was having trouble with it stalling. I replaced a cracked pvc hose on it today and after a couple of trips, the thing has gone from stalling, to racing like hell. I'm wondering if by fixing the vacuum hose, the engine has gotten back to normal and cleared itself out from running incorrectly all these years with the cracked hose. I'm wondering if the last guy who had the car tried to make up for the low idle by adjusting the stop screw for the throttle. can anyone tell me by looking at theirs, about how far up does that screw come up out of the base? mine looks like it sticks out about an 1/8 of an inch up so I can just barely start seeing the threads come through. thanks.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:41 AM
Kenny_G
Rookie
Default RE: need help, idle

U might wanna try replaceing your tps. Mine is doing the samething almost. except mine dies when I frist start it up. Check it that might be it. But I dont know that much about neons yet.

Kenny

Old 03-13-2007, 11:26 AM
5.0LTREATER
Rookie
Default RE: need help, idle

The stop screw adjustment varies from car to car. On my 98 the stop screw is about 1/16th of an inch. On my 95 it is about 1/8th or better.
According to your explaination, you are probably on the right track suspecting someone has adjusted the stop screw. Especially if someone owned the car before you. Back it down and see what happens.

Also check for other vacuum leaks by spraying wd40 around any hoses you think may be leaking. If there is a vacuum leak you will hear the motor slightly rev up. Alot of people say to use starting fluid (ether). Ether does work better for this but is not at all good on a gasoline engine. WD40 is a lubricant that is flammable and will not harm the engine by running through the combustion process.

Quick Reply: need help, idle