1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

99 neon wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 02:42 AM
fordboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 neon wont start

OK heres a story, Neon would not start about 4 months ago. messed with it all day
fuel pump not kicking on when key is on. checked fuses an relay all good bought new fuel
pump put it in still nothing?so loaded it up on the trialer took it to a good family freind who is a mechanic. When we was unloading it the car got high centered an stoped very hard like we had hit a tree on the trailer. Guess what car started right up. Drove it for 3 months car did same thing in a parking lot so I jumped a curb an hit the e-brake started up drove it a month to now. car did it again I was talking to some one an they said there is something wrong with the computer so I got a hammer out an tapped on the computer instead on jumping a curb or hitting a tree. Hit the comp an it started right up. well now it wont run at all just turns over bought another computer still no luck what is the problem??

Old 03-15-2007, 03:48 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker
Default RE: 99 neon wont start

new computers arent always good.
i belive theres also a somewhat common ground prolbem to the PCM,
i cant find a thread on it....

Old 03-16-2007, 01:39 AM
fordboy

ok guys iam gonna need more than that?

Old 03-16-2007, 01:56 PM
neisg1
Veteran

Can you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds when you turn the ignition on?
The auto shutdown can also cause it not to start.
If the replacement computer was a used it could be a dud. Relays can be intermittent try swapping it with one of the other ones the a/c orhorn.
Get a meter or a test light and do some testing. At the fuel pump make sure you have 12v and a good ground (the outer two pins on the fuel pump connector). The ignition must be on to test this but I’m not sure if it times out after a few seconds if the computer sees the engine not running.
For the computer ground problem repair see http://www.techknowman.com/Dodge%20N...dge%20Neon.htm

Quick Reply: 99 neon wont start