1st Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Dash Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dash Swap?

I have an early 1st gen. (72-80) Mine being a '78. I want to know if the dashs are interchangable with the next series of first gen (81-93). I am hoping someone will know if the dash will bolt up to the original mounts. I know most of the outer sheet metal will, doors, fenders, ect... but I have never tried swapping interior metal in one of these. Thanks, Scooter.
Also, as a side question, Do you guys call my generation of truck something other than an early first gen?

Old 07-19-2012, 11:04 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i pretty much consider everything 72-93 because most of it will bolt together. i am not 100% sure if the new dash would fit but i would guess it would since the cabs looks so much alike.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Scooter78
Captain

Thats pretty much what Im banking on.I was hoping somebody has done something similar and knows for certain before I run out and buy a jy dash. I have a lead on a nice one from craigslist, I just dont want to dive into it if it wont even come close to bolting up. My worry is that the early years had the all metal dash, then in the '80s it turned into a plasti-dash. Maybe they molded the mounting tabs for the plastic in the same place as the metal. Also, is there a metal substructure to the later model 1st gens?

Old 07-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you want to ditch the cool old 70's dash for the plasticy boxy 80's one?

Old 07-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Scooter78
Captain

Well, the more Im thinking about it, the less I want the 80s dash. I would really like to fix mine, but parts around here are impossible to find. My guage housing and glove box lid are so faded and brittle that they have holes in them and look like trash. If anyone has a lead on a parts 72-80 truck with decent dash components, I would be glad to buy them. So, in answer to your question.... Because the '80s dash parts are a dime a dozen.

Quick Reply: Dash Swap?