1st Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

D150 vs W150

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 10:56 PM
tjco
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default D150 vs W150

Hello all, I’m very new to the truck community and have no knowledge on them at all, so please excuse any mistakes I make with talking about this truck. My uncle passed away a few weeks ago and I am hopefully going to be able to inherit his truck so I have something to remember him by and work on and bring it back to it’s former glory. I checked out the truck and did a little research, then ran the VIN through a decoder to see what exactly I had on my hands. It’s a 1992 Ram, and needs a lot of work, and as I was looking at parts I was being asked if it was a D150 or a W150. I have no clue. I know the difference is the D denomination is for 2wd and the W is 4wd, but have no idea how to figure out what I have. I looked back through the stuff the VIN decoder gave me and it says “1992 D150 or W150” and doesn’t say which one I’ve got like I was hoping for. Is there any way to tell aesthetically or otherwise? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

P.S. If it helps at all it’s a 5.2L manual, not sure if 4 or 5 speed. Also don’t know bed length, but it is a 2 door. Not sure how any of that would help but figured it’s worth a shot.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:23 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

put the vin in after the = in this link and should answer that even tho should be pretty obvious from looking at it if it is 4x4 or 2wd. 2wd's are a lot lower overall than the 4x4's

https://www.chrysler.com/webselfserv...etServlet?vin=

Old 11-07-2019, 01:27 AM
tjco
Amateur

Yeah you’d think it’d be obvious but like I said I’m clueless about trucks, had just been looking into getting one recently and the opportunity came up to fix up my uncles after he passed away so I am learning little by little because they’re different from sports cars in a lot of ways and that’s pretty much all I know about lmao. Also I think that may be the wrong link? It’s just directing me to a page that says “vin not provided” with no option for me to do anything.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:31 AM
tjco
Amateur

Also I found another VIN decoder just now that does specify it is a 4x4 so I have found my answer. Thank you! I appreciate your help

Old 11-07-2019, 05:59 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Open driver door, look at the "hump" in the middle. If it's a manual and 4x4 (W) it'll have 2 shifters sticking up out of the hump. If it's 2x4 (D) you'll have 1 shifter sticking up out of the hump. This does not apply to automatics. Autos will have 1 on the floor for 4x4, and none for 2x4. Posting pics. Will help us help you also.

Quick Reply: D150 vs W150