1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

First time Dodge owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007 | 04:03 AM
alex16
Default First time Dodge owner

I've owned alot of diffrent makes but this is going to be my first Dodge. I came across this truck for pretty cheap locally and ended up buying it.

1987 Dodge D1500 Desperado (whatever that means)
It has a 318 w/ 3speed automatic transmission. The rearend looks beefy which I like alot. The engine turns over ok but has no spark. The capacitor or w/e you call it that comes from the coil and grounds out is broken but I'm not sure if it needs that for spark. The ignition box mounted on the firewall got warm, so I'm guessing thats working too. The ignition coil was getting 12V. Any Ideas? I'm going to try my luck with an ignition coil, if not I have a ignition moduel and other misc I made a Toyota run on (its ignition part is non existant and I found the Chrystler product was simular and it does infact work when wired correctly. What are some other things I should be aware of and to look for when diagnosing a no spark situation on a carbed 318.

Sorry for me sounding so mechanicly challenged, I primarly work on Great Mistakes and Toyota's (Jap Crap).

Old 08-13-2007 | 03:02 PM
alex16
Default RE: First time Dodge owner

Anybody? I am also curious why my truck says Desperado on the side of it...

Quick Reply: First time Dodge owner