1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cab Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Jacob1
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cab Lights

The cab lighs on my truck don't work becaue someone has cut the wires right after they come out the bottom of the lights. There is a switch in the dash where they were obviouly hooked to before. I have looked at some kits at Autozone and places and they seem simple to install. But i have one problem, there is no hole for me to reach the wires that would come off the lights. Where do i need to look to find this hole. I have removed A-pillar trim and there is no hole there. The only place i haven't looked yet is under the windheild visor mounts. Where did the factoy run them? Mine obviously aren't factoy. You guys got any ideas where i could run them thorugh?

Old 03-08-2008, 10:22 AM
lugnuts
All Star
Default RE: Cab Lights

Major pain in the stern. Pull a light and dig around in there with a coat hanger see ifyou can snag the existing wire.If it's fried, use it to pull a new wire. Otherwise,I'd go through the dome light hole if there's no bracing in the way. Then down the back of the cab with the hot wire. A stiff wire or fish tape is about the only way to pull new wire through that area. Trying to go through the A-pillar and behind the kick area panel would be a pain. Just be sure to have a fuse in it somewhere.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:34 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

if im thinkin your talkin about the same thing, it might be under the headliner. wires comin off the lights?

Old 03-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Jacob1
Veteran

I haven't gotten a chance to check the kit out at autozone but it seems to be a complete all in one. There are currently no wires connected to the lights. You can take the off and there is about 2 inches of loose wire hanging off the end but that is all. The switch is also cut short and someone has rigged it up to the OD switch (OD button still works). And i have no headliner, just a metal roof, i don't know if here ever was one in the truck. But along the the top of the windsheild about 2 inches from the edge are holes drilled. Could this be were someone ran the wires before? Maybe they took the headliner out because it was sagging and those holes were where the wires came from. i don't know. I just hate having those lights up there and not being able to use them, and i can't' take them out because the holes will let water in. There is about two inches of space around the dome lamp and no visible way of running wires. But the wire for that and the cargo lamp run to the left ( from rear of truck), so where do those two come out at? (No wires running down A-pillar)

Old 03-09-2008, 10:04 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

the kit from advance, ( i have a post somewhere around here about how i did em) comes with the lights, rubber gaskets, and wire to connect the lights too. i would say you prolly had a headliner to begin with, but i dont know much about 1st gen rams. the holes you are talking about, if there are 5 seperate sections with holes then yes. 5 holes, 5 lights. id look around and see if infact other trucks like yours had headliners. i dont know how else they would hide the wires.

Quick Reply: Cab Lights