1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission stuck in gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 06:27 PM
92PowerRamPA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission stuck in gear

i have a 92 ram 5 speed. i was about to leave the store and my truck was stuck in second gear i couldnt get it to go into nuetral or any other gears. what could be wrong? i just changed the transmission fluid it took about 4 and a half quarts. any suggestions?

Old 03-11-2008, 10:01 PM
lugnuts
All Star
Default RE: transmission stuck in gear

Is the shifter jammed or just flops around?

Old 03-11-2008, 11:46 PM
92PowerRamPA

its jammed, it wont move at all, well maybe about 1/8 inch.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:02 AM
lugnuts
All Star

Sounds like either the synchronizer hubhaswelded itself to the shaft or has a problem, or the shift rail/shift forkis screwed up. [detent *****/springs,galled shaft/bore, shift fork pin] Pull the shift tower off the top and see what you can see. Look and see if anything is blued from heat. Might pull the drain plug again and see if you have any shavings. What did the fluid look like when you changed it? Any chips/shavings beyond normal wear? Doesn't sound good,whatever it is. Chances are the tranny will have to come out. I've worked on a few Ferd ZF trannys,never had the chance to tear down a Mopar 5spd. Seen the ZFs weld stuff together due to a Torrington thrust brg failure. Full of lube,working fine,then seize. Usually gets the shaft and a couple of gears. Hopefully yours is a shift rail jammed.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:25 PM
92PowerRamPA

is there any way to take the shift tower of without taking the transmission out? everyone told me that ill need to drop the tranny to do so. the fluid looked fine when i came out it was just a little darker than new.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:15 PM
racer9
Veteran

Man you've had trouble with that truck. I might have a trans for you, if anyone knows if an '85 trans will fit.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:20 PM
92PowerRamPA

yea i have had some trouble with it. this is my third vehicle in 2 years. first was a plymouth laser (POS) everything went wrong with that, than a honda prelude that the engine blew up about 3 weeks after getting it, than replaced the engine and the flywheel needs replaced (still own), and now my truck. iv only had the truck on the road now for about maybe 2 weeks. it suck when all your vehicles are down. to make everything worse before i got my 92 i rolled my mom 01 ram sport, she was gonna give it to me after it was payed. how much would you want for the trany? ill search around to see if it will fit.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:27 PM
racer9
Veteran

I'll try again this week to get ahold of the guy that owns it.

Quick Reply: transmission stuck in gear