1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ignition coil

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 02:49 AM
nemesis_SS
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ignition coil

hey all.
im going to change my plugs and distributorsoon, and i figured why not, while im at it, change my wires also. And damnit since im up to no good anyhow, lets tossa shiny newhigh output ignition coil. Question is, what kind?
Does anybody know the volts on the stock (dont wanna do something stupid like downgrade, and I dont wanna get exessive either). I was thinking about the 30-40 thousand volts range?

anyhow i know MSD and Lucashave good reputations, and ebay seems to have the best deals when i compare to NAPA and Crappy Tire. im just pretty friggen lost on what i need. ive got no benchmark.

(ps shes a 91.)

Old 03-13-2008, 07:02 AM
lugnuts
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ignition coil

See alot of guys running the MSD Blaster coils. The resto crowd paints 'em black and stamps a factory # on 'em to be sneaky about it. Gonna put one on 'ol Greeny one of these days.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:51 AM
nemesis_SS
All Star

haha "ol greeny"
do we need the one with or without the ballast resistor?

id also like to withdraw my statement about ebay having the best prices. exept for a "slightly used" blaster 2 on ebay, everything is actually cheaper right from the MSD website (which I hadnt checked). Not only are they cheap (40 bucks) theyre half the price of the stock-style Mallory ones on the shelf at Canadian Tire. This stuff issodamned marked up in Canada.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:56 PM
nemesis_SS
All Star

Chrysler uses ones with an internal balance resistor, no? It my final question on this. Is there a certain amount of resistance i need to look for?

Old 03-21-2008, 07:52 PM
moparborn
All Star

The blaster coil will work fine,it puts out about 15k volts over stock.
It is just an r & r job.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:20 PM
84 Ram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a MSD blaster it seems to work alot better tha stock. I have another ignition upgrade that I am preparing for. I have read that you can use a module out of a chebbie HEI distributor to do away with the factory ignition box and this also does away with the ballast resistor, hat means that the ignition will be running on a full 12 volts.Here is a lnk to a site that describes it better.
http://duster318.freeservers.com/tech/hei.html

Old 03-22-2008, 12:25 AM
nemesis_SS
All Star

ok. so i dont need to buy one with a built in balast resister. the one on the truck is fine.

PS. i went to buy the coil from Summit and they dont take paypal from anyone outside the US...kinda wierd dont you think?

Quick Reply: ignition coil