1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4X4 low

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:06 PM
OrangeMopar
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4X4 low

I have an 86 W100 and am having some trouble getting it into 4-low. Is there a trick to getting it in or is there most likely a problem in the transfer case or maybe a solinoid not engaging or something. It feels like it goes in but then will grind before fully engaging. BTW I have had the truck for about a week and am totally new to the truck world. 4-high works great and has no problems engaging either.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:49 AM
lugnuts
All Star
Default RE: 4X4 low

You are placing the trans in nuetral right?It won't gootherwise. Beyond that check the linkage adj. or pull the linkage and see if it'll go in with a crecent wrench. If not pull the case. Shift fork or pin. [Forking pin] Worn low range hub.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:06 PM
nemesis_SS
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i never even used 4 low on my old blazer....i dontthink you really need it unless you're offroading or towing trough some deep mess

Old 03-18-2008, 06:29 PM
OrangeMopar
Amateur

Yeah I tried it a few different ways. In park, in neutral, turned it off then back on. Oh well I will try again tonight or tomorrow. Anybody else know of any common problems?