1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP!cluster guage problem,overdrive not working?gas guage not working,speedometer works but not od

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:57 PM
ruralcarrier4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!cluster guage problem,overdrive not working?gas guage not working,speedometer works but not od

Hi, I am new here-but I thought this might be the best place to get some answers. I just bought a 1990 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 club cab with 8' bed (360 V8). It is an automatic with push button overdrive but when I push the OD button it lights up but it does not seem like it shifts into OD (it has 4:10 gears so it Revs pretty high at 65-70mph-no tach though)Is the transmission shot? Also on the instrument cluster the speedometer works but the odometer doesn't-how can that be? And the guy I bought it from said he replaced the instrument cluster once already (he works for Dodge as a mechanic)-Is there an issue with these intrument clusters? Also gas gauge does not work-it floats all over-is it related to the other problems I am having? Also I just found out today the air vents do not respond (I could not get defroster on-it only blowed at me no matter what button was pushed. And the reverse lights do not work? This is a 3/4 ton truck with automatic + OD and throttle body injection 360 V8-what kind of gas mileage should I get? I was hoping for 15mpg. on the Highway (not getting it so far I don't think cause of no OD.). Please help, Thanks- also I have a Dana 44 front axle out of a 79 Dodge 4x4 that I would like to sell if anyone is interested-or else I will scrap it. [sm=helpout.gif]

Old 05-19-2008, 09:38 PM
racer9
Veteran
Default RE: HELP!cluster guage problem,overdrive not working?gas guage not working,speedometer works but not od

I posted on this before, apparently it was cleared for some reason.
First thing is, when you push the O/D button you are locking O/D out, or bypassing it. That's mostly for towing, leave the button alone (light off) for normal driving.
Odometer, may be a bad head, check with the former owner.
Gas gauge is a fairly common issue, first check the wires, then you may need to drop the tank and replace the sender.
Defroster is likely a vacuum hose off, under the dash.
Reverse lights could be a fuse, or the switch on the trans.
I don't think you'll see 15mpg, especially with 4:10 gears.
Sorry, I don't need the Dana44 but many Jeepers like them, try a Jeep site.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:10 PM
ruralcarrier4x4
Default RE: HELP!cluster guage problem,overdrive not working?gas guage not working,speedometer works but not od

Thanks for the help-wish I knew about that O/D button before I drove it 280 miles home ![>:]Thanks for the other suggestions too- I tried to reply the other night and the site was going haywire-it would not let me in and kept having all kinds of writing in wacky order? -Jim

Quick Reply: HELP!cluster guage problem,overdrive not working?gas guage not working,speedometer works but not od