1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"84 Ram 250 project?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:09 PM
MoJuice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "84 Ram 250 project?

Hi, my name is Kirk. I have joined this forum because I would like to do something with a truck that I bought for my son. This was his first vehicle (1984 Dodge Ram 250 2wd) and I sure wish I still had my first vehicle. My son is away at MMI in Orlando for 2 years and I would like to save the truck for him when he gets out and has the money to do something with it. We purchased the truck for $3200 with around 100,000 mi. on it because it was as clean as I have ever seen. (When the guy took his license plate off, underneath it looked like he had just buffed it.) My son drove it for a short while and someone he knows sabotaged the engine. After purchasing a different vehicle for him I decided to put another engine in which cost me an additional $1500. I now have so much money into it that it wouldn't make sense to get rid of it. What I am trying to find out is how to do preventive bodywork to it to keep it from rotting away. It is extremely solid all over. Whoever painted it didn't do a great job because there are some pits and runs. So, I was thinking of sanding down the rockers and such to ensure they are not rusting and priming all the spots until I can comeup with the money to repaint it. I have 2 years to make something of this truck to give it to him for a graduation present. I was also wondering if anyone has made a 3/4 ton into a race truck or if it is simply too heavy. Thanks

Old 06-02-2008, 11:34 PM
nemesis_SS
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: "84 Ram 250 project?

cheap rattle-can primer will not prevent rust so avoid it.if you dont see any rust on the panels and you can give them a decent (hand)smack without going thru then theyre fine. i would just leave thme untill youve got the money to repaint since they are straight panels and wont take long to fix (if there is anything to fix!).

- have it undersprayed (like 60 bucks a year and worth it).
- if your really worried about the rocker panels you could buy rattle can undercoating....will keep the rust away but a pain to get off. If you dont mind the crinkle texture along the rockers you can use the paintable undercaoting. it gives it a rough "i can take it" look.
- what do you mean race truck? competetive racing or just quick? the 1/2 tons wieght like 6200 which is friggen huge. 3/4 wieght might be on a plate riveted to the inside of the driver's door jamb. so i guess it depends what engine and how much you wanna spend. as awlays.

Quick Reply: "84 Ram 250 project?