1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What are best mods to improve MPG and Power

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 09:10 AM
jeffwpayne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZackN920
Find out what your axle gear ratios are to, if there high that can cost you in gas mileage depending on the size of your tires
what gears shuold i run if i have 39'' tire's and if i put 37's on it after a few months will it still be alright w/ the same gearing

Old 12-17-2009, 08:13 PM
AeSix
Professional

I've got a 93 318 Magnum, Auto trans and a 4.10 rear end...
I got quite a bit of an increase in fuel milage when I put 31s on the back.
I've been looking for some 32s, as I don't think there is enough width for the 33s I've been seeing.

$10 at walmart and you can probably get at least a small increase... bottle of fuel injector/carb cleaner (Super Tech, white bottle I think), new plugs... spend a bit of money on these. I've used several differant plugs in my engine (all matched set), the best I've used without spending $12 a plug were the Platinum +2 (at walmart for like $5-8 per 2.

I got some Denso Iridium plugs (for free from sparkplugs.com in a contest), and am getting the same mileage with 235s on the back of my truck as I was with 31s. That's about $100 for the set though.

Also, when I moved up north, I was starting to get worse MPG. It was suggested I disconnect the battery for half hour or so (I did it over night), to let the computer reset and reinitialize the sensor calibrations. I'm not sure if that's what it actually did, but I do know my MPG did go back up. Did the same when I came back south.

My engine seems to like about a 50/50 mix of regular gas and E85, or about E50. Power and MPG increase with it. I've never run it with straight E85. I found out by mistake (Never seen an E85 pump before, and had 10 gallons in it before I realised).

Ofcourse, follow the other tips, get it a nice tune up, buy good filters (expensive does not always mean /good/), and clean out the engine (combustion system, oil system and coolent system).

Also, an easy (but not best way) to clean out the cats, with some dawn dish soap and a garden hose. Park so you're pretty flat, maybe with the nose up a bit... but do NOT park with the exhaust tips higher than the mufflers/cats. Pour some soap (few drops) into the pipes, and hose it in and up. Don't use too much water or you could flood the engine with water. Let it drain and sit a little while. - and before anyone curses me, yes it works. Yes it will cause rust in your system, and yes you can end up with an engine rebuild if your stupid with the hose. Yes, it's really actually a bad idea. But so is marriage, and millions of people do that every year.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:34 PM
440ram
Professional

sorr yto say this but the best thing you can do to a dodge to get better mpg is to swap in an ls1 with a 6 speed tranny, you may get near 18-22 on the highway and have over 320 hp at the wheels. something a tradiational 318 and 360 can never acheive.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:17 PM
AeSix
Professional

Originally Posted by 440ram
sorr yto say this but the best thing you can do to a dodge to get better mpg is to swap in an ls1 with a 6 speed tranny, you may get near 18-22 on the highway and have over 320 hp at the wheels. something a tradiational 318 and 360 can never acheive.
Sorry, but my 93 Magnum was getting 22-23 mpg on the highway (gauged over a 1600 mile road trip) with new plugs, new oil, oil filter, air filter, injector cleaner run through it twice, 31s on the back, and about (guessing) 1500 - 2000lbs of cargo.It has an auto, push button overdrive transmission and 4.10 rear end. This was at speeds ranging from 55 to 90 and sometimes faster (oh, did I just incremenate myself? :P) I was using mid and high grade gasoline. This was also with a water pump that seized up about 4000 miles later, so...

But the prospect of swapping in an ls6 is... intriguing if not blasphemy

Old 12-17-2009, 11:54 PM
440ram
Professional

Originally Posted by AeSix
Sorry, but my 93 Magnum was getting 22-23 mpg on the highway (gauged over a 1600 mile road trip) with new plugs, new oil, oil filter, air filter, injector cleaner run through it twice, 31s on the back, and about (guessing) 1500 - 2000lbs of cargo.It has an auto, push button overdrive transmission and 4.10 rear end. This was at speeds ranging from 55 to 90 and sometimes faster (oh, did I just incremenate myself? :P) I was using mid and high grade gasoline. This was also with a water pump that seized up about 4000 miles later, so...

But the prospect of swapping in an ls6 is... intriguing if not blasphemy
20+ is hard to believe, but unfortunatly if you put that thing on a dyno you will be lucky to get over 190hp. An ls1 will easy get 20+ with over 300hp to the wheel.

Oh and going downhill figuring mpg doesn't count....You need to do a full tank average up and down hill, then it may be closer to 15 mph if you are lucky, not buying 22mpg+...LOL ur funny.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:40 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

20mpg is not that hard for a 318 if you have the right parts under the hood. there is an H1 Hummer that get 55mpg.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:23 AM
AeSix
Professional

a 1600 mile road trip don't count to figure MPG? go figure.

as for HP? I seen the thing pull about 2 tons of fencing at 45 mph before I bought it.
I don't care what the dyno says, the thing is a work horse and a half. It'll do anything I'll ever need it to, and then a whole lot more.

Last edited by AeSix; 12-18-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:35 PM
440ram
Professional

Originally Posted by AeSix
a 1600 mile road trip don't count to figure MPG? go figure.

as for HP? I seen the thing pull about 2 tons of fencing at 45 mph before I bought it.
I don't care what the dyno says, the thing is a work horse and a half. It'll do anything I'll ever need it to, and then a whole lot more.
I'm just sayin that your math is prolly off, or the speedometer is cutting you slack. As far a pulling 2 tons of fencing.....My 18 hp riding lawnmower can do that.

the origanal question was what are the best mods to improve mpg and power, and the best thing to do is simple swap in a motor..like the ls1.. and save weight, gain power, get better economy, and less breakdowns. technology is a heck of a thing and i'm sorry myself that the 318 suffers in this department.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:29 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

hydrogen would be the best for power and mpg. the only thing is that you need to find someone that knows hydrogen or do some research. i have atempted to build a hydrogen systeman it work but i had difficulties sealing the container i used.
"Think about it," Goodwin laughs. "A 5,000-pound vehicle that gets 60 miles to the gallon and will do zero to 60 in five seconds!"
While researching alternative fuels, he learned about the work of Uli Kruger, a German who has spent decades in Australia exploring techniques for blending fuels that normally don't mix. One of Kruger's systems induces hydrogen into the air intake of a diesel engine, producing a cascade of emissions-reducing and mileage-boosting effects. The hydrogen, ignited by the diesel combustion, burns extremely clean, producing only water as a by-product. It also displaces up to 50% of the diesel needed to fuel the car, effectively doubling the diesel's mileage and cutting emissions by at least half. Better yet, the water produced from the hydrogen combustion cools down the engine, so the diesel combustion generates fewer particulates--and thus fewer nitrogen-oxide emissions.
i tool these quotes from here http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/...tml?page=0%2C2
here is a coulpe of hydrogen systems and other things they can be used for.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft3iPxaegho

www.youtube.com/watch?v=07tn7e8g0YI

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 12-19-2009 at 12:33 AM.

Quick Reply: What are best mods to improve MPG and Power