1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

W100 power steering conversion from manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 03:26 PM
remington_guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question W100 power steering conversion from manual

Hello,
I just picked up a nice 1979 W100 with a slant 6, 3 on the tree and manual steering.
So all this makes it a cool truck.
This is a project in the makings. First I am wanting to change it over to power steering.
My questions is:
Are there any kits out there? Or can I just pick up a factory sector and a pump and brackets?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chad

Old 12-05-2008, 01:01 AM
lugnuts
All Star

A complete boneyard setup would be eaiest, if you can find one for a slant 6. All 1st gen truck PS boxes bolt up so you can grab whatever you can find,and source the brackets/pump/pulleys off a car if needed. There can be some issues when swapping parts. Different hoses etc. A 2WD box will bolt up, but the steering column shaft is shorter,and your manual is too long. You'll have to find a W series/Ramcharger shaft. Borgeson makes cut to fit shafts with U-joints,a worthy upgrade as the coupling pot at the box is usually shot. You'll need a W series PS steering arm.
Having said all that the stock setup has pi$$ poor geometry. How about a crossover steering conversion? Check this out.
http://ramchargercentral.com/index.p...owtoshow;id=21 There are a couple threads on this so look around.

Last edited by lugnuts; 12-05-2008 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:02 AM
1996Ram318
All Star

That explains why the shaft I bought off Ebay was too short. I just took some square steel 1X1" and made an extension. I know that my 88 is hard to steer without a PS pump on it. That will be my next part.

Quick Reply: W100 power steering conversion from manual