1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

carb questions????

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:08 PM
dasaroth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb questions????

Ok, so i was working on the old dodge yesterday, changed the oil, air cleaner and the gas filter (gas filter was semi clogged). So Today i went out to start the dodge (very cold this morning) pressed the pedal once to set the choke fired almost instantly. but i noticed a little gas smell that wasn't there before. so i was walking around the truck and smelled the exhaust and shes running super rich (but not to the point its smoking black). even when she warms up there still is a gas smell coming from it,and is harder to start like its getting flooded.so the question is, is there a way to adjust the carb. i took a quick glance at it and i saw no adjustment screws other than idle, it has what looks like little square blocks where the adjustment screws should be. or should i just say screw the carb, i got a holley street avenger 750cfm carb stashed in the garage and put that on it. do you think it may be too much for the old 318. oyeah its a 87 d250 318 2wd auto if you all forgot.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:24 PM
moparborn
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is more than enough,but with some adjusting it should be ok.
You can remove the plugs on the stock carb while doing a rebuild,if the filter was clogging up,some debris may have gotten in the carb.

Quick Reply: carb questions????