1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cat Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009 | 02:36 PM
DuckFarmer
|
Default Cat Removal?

My buddy and I were looking at the '88 W150 he just bought and noticed it still had two cats in it before the Flowmasters.

I was wondering if they are wroth taking off, or if it's just a can of worms that should not be opened?

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by DuckFarmer; 05-11-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-11-2009 | 07:00 PM
nemesis_SS
All Star

check local regulations. its true that they cost you a little power, but i know that where i live they are required on anything 88 or newer that rolled out of the factory with them (same goes for all emissions equip). some places that do not require you to have the actual emissions measured still want to see the cats there - in which case ive seen them reamed out or the shell of a cat put over a straight pipe. but they are required on my truck so ive never dicked with it.

Old 05-11-2009 | 09:12 PM
DuckFarmer
|

Thanks man,

Our local regulations are that anything tagged as historic doesn't need to be emissions tested (at least that's as far as I know...). I'm not sure, but the cats could be gutted on the truck already.

I'm more concerned about it messing with the engine and sensors. I'm not familiar with these older engines, but I know with new engines removing or gutting the cat can mess with the O2 sensors and stuff. I'm just not sure if the same problems might occur with the 318.

Andy

Old 05-11-2009 | 10:05 PM
nemesis_SS
All Star

it isnt a problem on these.

but for the record, removing/gutting a cat only causes problems if there is an o2 sensor after the cat (which our trucks do not have). When this is the case, i wouldnt mess with it

Old 05-14-2009 | 11:44 AM
DuckFarmer
|

Okay, thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Andy

Old 06-09-2009 | 07:14 AM
durec
Rookie

In my '94, I simply gutted it and she ran fine for another 200K; I haven't as yet played with my '88 though...still has the cat intact

Old 06-10-2009 | 02:03 PM
DuckFarmer
|

Originally Posted by durec
In my '94, I simply gutted it and she ran fine for another 200K; I haven't as yet played with my '88 though...still has the cat intact
We took them off and everything is fine and dandy...sounds sweeeeet(er) now too.

Quick Reply: Cat Removal?