1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Would this be a carb problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 06:58 PM
ToyBoy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would this be a carb problem?

Hey all,

I am fairy new with the automotive side of mechanics. Restored a few tractors, but have not done much with trucks.

Anyways, here are symptoms. I have a 1983 dodge truck, 150 custom, and it has the 225 slant six. It really dont matter what temperature it is when this occurs BTW. I will first off have to make sure my truck is slamed into park, or else it wont turn over. Is there a linkage i can adjust to fix this? To be in drive i have to have it in neural on the dash. Then when it it does turn over, it turns over and does nothing one or two times. Pump it some, turn over and it sputters a little. I will repeatidly (3,4,5 times) do this, sputters a little longer each time until it starts and runs. It wont idle at this piont, i have to rev the engine. If i was in a hurry and put the truck in drive, it will die. I have to give it a good five minutes of warming up before i can even move the, and carefully at that so it doesnt die until its fully warmed up.

Any ideas, suggestions for me? What should i be looking for to fix this.

Thanks, Aaron

Old 05-18-2009, 11:01 PM
moparborn
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the linkage needs adjusted at the tranny.
The gear position needle on the dash needs adjusted as well.
Check the operation of the choke.
When was the last tuneup/fuel system cleaner?

Old 05-20-2009, 08:51 PM
ToyBoy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It have had the truck maybe 2 years or so now. I have not done a tuneup, or a fuel cleaner for the truck.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:12 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also look at the choke but something you might also consider if that is OK and you have tried a good cleaner. A lot of carbs are having trouble digesting this crappy ethanol laced gas. Ethanol is very corrosive to rubber parts in carbs. It may be time for a rebuild.

Quick Reply: Would this be a carb problem?