1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mo-power, please

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009 | 01:14 AM
bforty
|
Amateur
Default Mo-power, please

I have a 1989 D150 originally with a 318, I swapped it out for a re-built 360 a while back and I just haven't been getting the performance that I want, and at the moment it seems weaker than the peppy 318 that I used to have. One of the main issues that I have identified is that it's not down-shifting properly when I mash the gas pedal. What I want, and what I used to have was instant power, pick-up and go. Now what I have is minimal response as it gradually builds speed. I figure a good transmission shop could address that, but am I missing something? Is there more to it than that? Assuming and praying to god that I get that issue sorted out (after all the time and money I put into what I thought was an engine upgrade), what are some other suggestions for more power and performance? At this point I've pretty much thrown my concern for gas mileage out the window (for the record I'm getting about 11-12 mpg right now). I am also aware of the limitations associated with emissions, lack of carb, etc.

I've dug around on here and read some good stuff, but I'm just throwing this out there to hear what anyone has to say. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-05-2009 | 11:56 AM
nemesis_SS
All Star

11-12 mpg is actually decent. youre shifting problem could be something as simple as the kickdown linkage cis dirty or the spring worn. But general engine sluggishness might be a vacuum leak, or bad compression. check your vacuum off the manifold (17-22 psi) and if you are burning lots of oil. maybe a tuneup is in order as well, plugs, wire, cap, rotor, maybe coil.

Old 06-08-2009 | 06:54 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

you could check the gap on your sparkplugs and grease the kickdown. should make some difference.

Old 06-08-2009 | 07:20 PM
moparborn
All Star

Check the adjustment on the throttle pressure/kickdown linkage.
You had a 318 efi in there,now you have a 360 efi,did you get a long block or short block,what parts did you swap from 318 to 360?Did you switch the computer?

Last edited by moparborn; 06-08-2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-09-2009 | 10:48 PM
bforty
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by moparborn
Check the adjustment on the throttle pressure/kickdown linkage.
You had a 318 efi in there,now you have a 360 efi,did you get a long block or short block,what parts did you swap from 318 to 360?Did you switch the computer?

I have the long block, and I ended up using almost everything from before that fits back on. Part of the problem was the total lack of communication/understanding between myself and the dealer that performed the engine swap. So figuring out what I have and discerning truth from lies has been half of the battle. The computer is an interesting idea. I know very little about how that part works or whether or not anything was done in that regard. I have to assume based on the lack of care on the dealer's part that nothing was done in that area. I never thought of that and I would like to hear more if anyone has any thoughts.

Regarding previous posts, since the engine swap I have replaced spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, vacuum lines, PCV valve, etc. which did improve things a fair amount. Also, when I replaced the vacuum lines I did a pretty thorough job of cleaning the entire throttle body and linkage in the engine compartment. I'll have to look over the kickdown linkage to be sure, but it doesn't seem like that's it because it's not as though it's sticking, it just accelerates gradually. Throttle pressure makes sense, but how do you check that?

All things considered I'm not burning oil, and everything is running very nicely and very smooth at this point. However I'm just not getting the performance (mostly acceleration) that I want, that I think should be there. Thanks again for the feedback.

Last edited by bforty; 06-09-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2009 | 10:10 PM
moparborn
All Star

When you pull out do you feel the tranny shifting and at what speed does it shift at?

Old 06-11-2009 | 05:58 PM
nemesis_SS
All Star

post your 0-60 and well let you know how bad it is.

what about fuel pump? check the pressure.

moparborn, i thought the computer for 318 and 360 was the same?

Last edited by nemesis_SS; 06-11-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-12-2009 | 11:19 AM
SEAL
Champion

All the computers for the 318's are not the same and the 360's are different also.

http://www.siaelec.com/index.asp?Pag...ory=369&Page=4

Old 06-12-2009 | 04:53 PM
nemesis_SS
All Star

you might be right SEAL. but if you look at the item number (FI-24033-TBI) it is the same for the 5.9 and 5.2 even though they are listed seperately.

Old 06-13-2009 | 09:15 AM
SEAL
Champion

If you go to a dodge dealer and ask for a computer you must have the number from your computer as there are several different computers for 318's even of the same year.

Quick Reply: Mo-power, please