1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

93 ram 239 3.9l v6

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009 | 01:14 PM
mebnme
|
Default 93 ram 239 3.9l v6

i have a 1993 ram with a 239 v6 that has 73k miles on it. Cold start, the engine makes a clicking/knocking sound. it seems to be coming from the valves or maybe the radiator fan or maybe the serpentine belt, sounds more like the valves though. anyway, it clicks/knocks semi-loud or atleast you can hear it with the hood up, after it warms up for about 5-20mins it quiets way down or stops all together eventually.. the engine runs very smooth other than this, but it bothers me a little bit.. im no expert mechanic and have no clue what it really might be, or even if its worth worrying about.. i guess my question is should i worry about this and what is it exactly?

Old 06-17-2009 | 04:45 PM
SEAL
Champion

Clicking/knocking are not normal engine sounds. Could be a lot of things without more info. How often do you change your oil? You might try a can of oil additive to free up a possible sticking lifter.

Old 06-17-2009 | 05:33 PM
mebnme
|

when i bought the truck it had pretty clean oil in it, and it doesnt burn/use/leak any oil at all so i would guess the man i bought it from changed it regularly. i changed the oil and filter the day i bought it. bought it at 71k miles. it's definitely not a rod knock, and its not nearly that loud if that helps. ill try the oil additive could be lifters. the noise goes away completely once the truck warms up a little bit and the whole thing sounds much quieter/smoother. i know the man put new spark plug wires on it it sounds like its coming from that general area don't know if that could possibly cause this sound.

Last edited by mebnme; 06-17-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Quick Reply: 93 ram 239 3.9l v6