1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:33 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i unplugged the abs on my truck. the abs box is behind the glovebox.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Kcrest
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Much thanks HellOnWheels!! Bookmarked the post and will have to read it a bit later. Cheers!

Old 07-13-2009, 06:32 AM
nemesis_SS
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im confused are we talking ABS warning light or the red BRAKE light that comes on when you put the e-brake down?

Old 07-13-2009, 07:52 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nemesis_SS
im confused are we talking ABS warning light or the red BRAKE light that comes on when you put the e-brake down?
By his original post we are talking both.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:28 PM
HellOnWheels

Yes it is both warning lights. They come on as soon as I start the truck and they stay on until I shut the truck off. Yes the anti-lock brake system itself is seperate from your regular brake and e-brake system (I believe). But the fact that both lights came on at the exact same time out of the blue one day leads me to believe the problem is connected.

My truck did have the oil warning light coming on a few months ago which at first sounds bad. I solved that problem with a new oil sensor which was simple and cheap. So I'm trying not to jump to horrific conclusions with these brake warning lights being on.

The e-brake is not slightly engaged and my brake fluid level is fine, so I ruled that out. I've been driving the truck with no problems.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:45 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try going up above your e-brake peddle and disconnect the wire from the e-brake switch just to see if the light goes out. If the light stays on I would then look for a crossed wire in the dash somewhere as you would have eliminated its normal power supply.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:04 PM
AustinMR8918
Default Abs & brake warning lights

I have a 89 Ram 318 and my abs and brake lights stay on I have cleaned off the wheel speed sensor with brake cleaner and I have full brake fluid any suggestions on what is causing this??

Old 12-17-2016, 10:59 PM
goonybird

I know this is an old thread.. but I found it and it's helpful. Try this... take your truck to a gravel road or parking lot with nobody close. drive up to 15 mph or so and stomp on your bakes.. lock em up. That will activate the ABS system so it can purge itself of any trapped air or particles. Do it a bunch of times, forward and backward. I just did it with my 89 dakota sport,,, first stomp. Needs the gravelly dirt sliding... wet tarmac didn't kick it. When the parking brake didn't hold, I knew I had to adjust up the rear shoes, too. Too much clearance to the drum and you get a long pedal. hth
good luck

Old 05-20-2020, 03:17 PM
Dearolddadsgarageexperiment
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a 1990 dakota with the brake light and abs light on and my parking brake needs to be adjusted it's going to be a busy day. how do i adjust the parking brake?

Old 05-23-2020, 07:16 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Might want to post in the Dakota section!

Quick Reply: Brake Warning Light