1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1988 Dodge Ram 50

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 01:51 PM
KJRob30
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1988 Dodge Ram 50

I am looking for a carburetor interchange list for a 1988 Dodge Ram 50, 4x4, automatic w/air. I have scoured the net with no luck. I am going to have to do the junk yard hop to find one but those trucks are hard to find, so I would like to know what other vehicles have the same set up.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:06 PM
kev2
Veteran

That is the "junk yards" business knowing "what fits what" they have access to interchange books - more likely online info also they share inventory info etc , ask them to help you.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:26 PM
nemesis_SS
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we need to know what motor too. there were the inline 4 Astron (in two different displacements) and Sirius engine, plus the v6 and a diesel. the most common are th 2 and 2.6, which i think were hitachi carbs.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:38 AM
KJRob30
Default Sorry!!!!

I will mostly be going to self serve salvage yards, so, they dont help you with anythnig.

Im sorry, I thought I posted the motor size, it is a 2.6 mitsu.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:55 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

can you rebuild your original ? i did a friend's one time. it was just a simple little holley 2 bbl

Old 07-05-2009, 10:19 AM
nemesis_SS
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i said that they were hitachis. i wasnt thinking. Some were Weber carbs built by Holley and others were mikuni.

as far as i can remember, chrysler put the 2.6 in just about everything. Dodge Caravans, Aries (Ply. reliant), Raider. Chrysler LeBaron, New Yorker, Conquest. There were even more applications in all those oddball mopars with short prodcution runs.

so it should be easy to find one of those in a junkyard. but the catch is i dont know if they are identical - little things like sensors or throttle arm position. just take your old one to the wrecker.

i dont know how much you like this car, but there are 2 other options. pull the multiport bits off a later model 2.6 and do away with the carb altogether, or, im sure you can srounge a turbo kit off something for this. chrysler was surprisingly keen on turbos in the 80s. good luck, happy hunting

Old 07-05-2009, 10:37 PM
KJRob30
Angry It will run but will not stay running.

I got another carb. It does not have all the electrical junk. It starts now but it wont stay running. Holds fine above 1500 r's. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, fuel lines. Checked and rechecked vacuum. Pulled and plugged the EGR. Tore down and rebuilt the carb. Motor was rebuilt 25,000 miles ago. Checked fuel pump it is strong. Next step is to replace the catalytic converter. Any other suggestions before I haul it off to the junk yard?

Old 07-12-2009, 03:54 PM
masonj21
Default your carb

so much could be wrong..

i have an 88 dodge ram 50 2.0 originally it had a makuni carb on it but i ordered a rebuilt holley and it still wasnt running right

my suggestions are try finding somebody to tune it up

alot of the time when getting a new carb is it wont be set up correctly to your engine

even if holley said it would be

try that out

but trust me finding someone is hard

nobody wanted to touch mine but i finally found someone

how good of condition is the body of yours?

Old 07-13-2009, 09:04 AM
KJRob30
Talking Not bad...

The body has some light hail damage. I need a new drivers side mirror. And the tailgate was hit by a 4 wheeler.
Interior is damn near emaculent. I have found the timing is out. Someone rebuilt the motor and had no idea how important the pin in the crank pulley was. I have taken a week break from the truck.

Needed to cool down. Before I broke something new. I will be diggin back in this week. Thanks for the heads-up on the carb adjustment.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Aeroheadcww
Smile Weber Conversion

I put a Weber 34/34 conversion kit on mine, welded the egr shut and removed all the vacuum and computer stuff except the ignition advance. Runs like a sewing machine and has a lot more power.

89 Ram 50 2.6L

Good Luck,
Casey

Quick Reply: 1988 Dodge Ram 50