1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Not getting any fire to the dist.....HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009 | 08:37 PM
Mad Mudder
|
Professional
Question Not getting any fire to the dist.....HELP

Ok here is the deal I was driving home and about 100 feet from the house my truck bogges down, so I let up on it then gave it gas and it did it again. Then it died and has not started sence. I put new wires, plugs, cap and rotor, and a new dist pickup and still no fire. What am I over looking? Any help will be helpful.. Thanks

Old 07-28-2009 | 09:00 AM
SEAL
Champion

Do you have power to the coil? If you have a dual dist pickup there should be a start/run relay to check (resistance between terminals 4 & 5 should be 20 to 30 ohms). You should have a single ballast resistor that may be bad, it should read 1.1 to 1.8 ohms. Electronic lean burn II (SCC spark control computer) was used on most of your year trucks and that will have to be a suspect.

Old 07-28-2009 | 10:53 AM
Mad Mudder
|
Professional

I have power to the coil but not out of the cap. Where is the SCC at on a 86?

Old 07-28-2009 | 12:11 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

My 87 is behind the battery in left fender.

Old 07-28-2009 | 05:15 PM
SEAL
Champion

It is on the side of the air cleaner. It says ELECTRONIC FUEL CONTROL SYSTEM on it but it is called a spark control computer in the manuals. It has a ten pin connector and a vacuum transducer on it.

Old 07-28-2009 | 06:16 PM
Mad Mudder
|
Professional

I will check and see if i have one.

Old 07-28-2009 | 07:24 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

My 5th ave. had that type. Tried a remanufactured one, ran good for 3 weeks. Ended up getting a Mopar Performance Ignition kit. That was 6 or 7 years ago, still running like a champ.

Old 07-29-2009 | 11:03 AM
nemesis_SS
All Star

checked the ballast resistor?

Old 07-29-2009 | 01:22 PM
Mad Mudder
|
Professional

The ballastis the next step that i will take. I going to replace the voltage reg & control mod ( were ever it is).

Old 07-29-2009 | 04:00 PM
lilredex
Rookie

The first thing you need to establish (visually) is what ignition system you have. Because, there are three possibilities.

A) You could have LEAN BURN (disaster)

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/lean-burn.html

B) The split system:

""For vehicles built from 1984 through 1987, the ECU is actually divided into two parts. This was done to isolate the electrical noise and interference generated by the power module from the passenger compartment. The Logic Module is located inside the passenger compartment, usually behind the front passenger-side kick panel which is below the dashboard and glove compartment. The Power Module is located in the engine compartment in the left, front fender next to the battery. The intake to the air box is connected to the power module so that the engine pulls cool air through it from behind the front bumper. This keeps the module cool (it has several transistor drivers and regulators) and also supplies cool air to the engine intake. It is important not to change this since the power module could potentially overheat when the car is running, but not moving.""

These look like the later SMEC controllers used in '88/89 and is in the LHS fender.

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/ecu/index.html

C) Or you could have the preferred one which is the 4 pin ECU (with ballast resistor) and is the one you should switch to (if you want it to run properly) if you have the other BS.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/electronic-ignition.html

Last edited by lilredex; 07-29-2009 at 04:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Not getting any fire to the dist.....HELP