1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

85 D150 Charging problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 04:09 PM
BillyL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 D150 Charging problem.

I'm having charging system problems with my 85 D150 with a 318. I noticed a real bad smell while driving down the road the other day. When i stopped & lifted the hood the battery was soking & boiling. When i got home I put a meter on it & it was charging almost 16 volts. I replaced the voltage regulator to no avail. Same problem. I cleaned all the connections at the alternator & voltage regulator(they weren't corroded) & even added a ground wire from the engine to the screw that holds the regulator to the firewall. I also replaced the battery because the old one started leaking acid & the case was buckled from the overcharging. I don't have a lot of money right now to be guessing what might be the problem by just replacing every component till I get it right. If someone has had the same problem any info or component tests or flow chart/ logic tree I can do would be appreciated.

Thanks. Billy

Old 08-16-2009, 04:49 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Someone had that same thing a while back and it was in the alternator.
The forum was dodge talk.com.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:54 PM
kev2
Veteran

if applicable- what is the dash meter reading?

lets start with checking battery cables, and the ground.
any recient repairs modifications etc?
was the regulator NEW ?

engine off- battery voltage is?
engine running @1500rpm what is batt voltage?
unplug regulator what is batt voltage?

Sorry I had to leave... either the regulator is bad we are isolating that or as mentioned alternator. try to go step by step so answer questions esp about other repairs ....and we will go foward.. If I remember (1985 been a while) this alt and wiring is very accesable

Last edited by kev2; 08-16-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:41 PM
nemesis_SS
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you check the voltage off the alternator?

Old 09-11-2009, 11:32 PM
thedfordch

i am having a charging issue as well. i had my gauge that puts out the voltage indication over heat. Since then i have replace the alternator and voltage regulator several time over. i was getting a slight over charge, now i am not charging at all. the alternator is putthing out good voltage, but at the battery with the engine running it is only 11, which is the volatge of the battery itself.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:32 AM
RAVRAM
Rookie

sounds to me like one of the diodes in the alternator isn't regulating the amount of current the alternator is putting out to the voltage regulator..I know that doesn't make a lot of sense but in externally regulated alternators those diodes can do funny things.

Quick Reply: 85 D150 Charging problem.