1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starting problem 89 D150

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 04:30 PM
bforty
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem 89 D150

I'm having starting problems on my Ram. When I turn the key it does not start the way it usually does. Sometimes it does not start at all. It cranks, but it usually hesitates to start, sometimes longer, sometimes not so much. Once it starts it will fire back up easily and normally. Seems to not start after sitting for longer than a few hours. Here's what I've replaced so far:
-alternator
-battery
-cap & rotor
-spark plugs & wires
-fuel pump and filter
(in that order)

I've had it at a dealer and to my preferred mechanic, both of which recommended some of the above, but I'm still having trouble. I'm out of ideas, do you have any?

Old 08-29-2009, 04:52 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

have you tried adjusting the timing? mabe there is a bad gound.

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 08-29-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:44 PM
bforty
Amateur

Haven't tried that, because it was fine before and the problem started before I changed the cap/rotor/plugs, etc. Although double checking it wouldn't hurt I suppose.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:20 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i use to have 6 cylinder that would start at the touch of the key but it would idle at 2000rpm. the lowest i could get it to idle when i adjusted the timing was 1000rpm but it would take way more to start.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:40 PM
lilredex
Rookie

Before you crank the engine, turn the key to the "run" position and listen for the fuel pump to buzz. Should take a couple of times before it builds up the pressure then stops running. Then try cranking. If it fires up immediately, you might try running some fuel injector cleaner through it, checking the fuel pressure and perhaps switching the ASD relay to confirm it is performing properly. I have an 1989 B150 (318) and it always seems to crank forever unless you help it along like that.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:37 PM
bforty
Amateur

For the record, I forgot to mention, I the ASD/fuel pump relay was one of the first things I replaced. Oddly enough the problem seems to be improving/gone away. I added some fuel cleaner earlier and all can think is that must have something to do with it.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:38 PM
bforty
Amateur

For the record, I forgot to mention, the ASD/fuel pump relay was one of the first things I replaced. Oddly enough the problem seems to be improving/gone away. I added some fuel cleaner earlier and all I can think is that must have something to do with it.

Quick Reply: Starting problem 89 D150