1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turn key no start after transmission replacement on a 1985 Dodge D-250

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 12:14 PM
Mattycrego
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn key no start after transmission replacement on a 1985 Dodge D-250

So, I blew my original transmission after it being funky and acting weird for months but I still beat on it (I’m young and dumb so yknow), anyways finally got the new transmission in everything put together, last things to go in was the driveshaft and starter, (just to make sure I did it right because it’s my first time doing a transmission to the fullest extent as well as not being on a lift. I got the starter in then driveshaft, obviously being extremely excited because it had been two months since it’s driven and 1 month since started. But I get in go to turn the key and no started so I get out make sure my battery cables and wires to the starter are all good, and they were so I got back in and went to turn the key all the way off and turn it back and when I go to turn it back it’s like not letting the key turn back without really forcing it, which its never done before but anyways turn key no start. Any thoughts.

Old 07-12-2023, 12:23 PM
aleekat
Professional
Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Check voltage on the battery first.

Old 07-12-2023, 12:52 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

did you make sure to hook up the neutral safety swtich on the transmission? i would also recommend trying to start it in neutral and i would recommend shutting it off the moment it fires up so you can check and top up the trans fluid as needed.

Old 07-28-2023, 01:52 AM
JXTNSADVNTR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I'll be the first to admit that I've got a lot to learn when it comes to older dodges, but I had a similar issue with my 93' when I first bought it.

Firstly, I agree with aleekat, you're going to want to check your battery first things first! But, I also know that in the a lot of the older dodges, they had fusible links instead of fuses for several of the systems, including the ignition. It should be located on the driveside near the fender in the engine bay. It's pretty simple to replace if it's wrong, just cut it out and splice a new one in. A good way to check is by using an ohm meter to see if there's any power getting through the system, and by visually examining the wiring to see if there is any discoloration, burn marks, or breaks.

This may not be your problem, but it was mine. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Turn key no start after transmission replacement on a 1985 Dodge D-250