DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-ram-tech-63/)
-   -   Rear shackles gone bad :( (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-ram-tech/220005-rear-shackles-gone-bad.html)

Reps'87Ram 11-02-2009 11:34 AM

Rear shackles gone bad :(

Hey all,

I have a 1987 Dodge W150 4X4 360 4BL automatic. I just went outside and noticed that the drivers side of the truck was sagging a bit more than the passenger side. I looked under the truck and found that the shackle on the DR side rear had eroded away and left the leaf spring up tight against the bottom of the bed. I know that I obviously have to replace the shackle and the bolt, but where do you find such a thing? Can I just go to Autozone and get what I need? If so, what do I ask for? Or do I have to resort to finding one in a salvage yard? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

crazzywolfie 11-02-2009 04:36 PM

it does not hurt to go to autozone and ask if they have any in stock. if they don't know what a leafsping shackle is then there is a problem. if auto zone don't have them you could try rockauto.com.

aaron7 11-02-2009 09:46 PM

My truck had the same problem. Actually, it still does lol

I couldn't find a shackle at the local parts stores but I was told the dealer can get them and they aren't too expensive.

BLKRAM3 11-04-2009 09:08 PM

Just make sure it's the actual shackle and not the mounting bracket on the frame.
I had the same thing happen on my 87 and it was the rear mount that rusted away.
(leaf actually poked a hole thru the bed!) Either way you won't find it at the chain
stores, I didn't! I do still have the new OEM shackles and mounts, for both sides.
truck died before the I could fix it. Double check the mounts and let me know if you're interested.

Reps'87Ram 11-05-2009 03:47 AM

What rusted away is the bracket that mounts to the frame. The leaf spring is slammed tight against the bottom of the bed. The other side is pretty much rusted out too. What are you asking for shackles and mounts? Just curious, not sure I can afford them, but I'm sure that I will need them. Thanks for your time!

aaron7 11-05-2009 07:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine:

Attachment 97330

Reps'87Ram 11-05-2009 01:33 PM

Well, atleast my issue doesn't look quite that bad! However, the hanger that attaches to the frame does look about the same... (broken)! Is the hanger that supports the leaf spring, and that is attached to the frame called the shackle? Thanks

Reps'87Ram 11-05-2009 01:36 PM

Nice!! You gotta love the winter salt in the north!! Anyway, I will post a pic showing the damage tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

AeSix 11-06-2009 06:59 AM

this is why the underside of my truck is still greasy and coated with lime dust from the dirt roads :)
Its probably the only thing holding it together :P

Reps'87Ram 11-06-2009 07:59 AM

Ok, I just purchased two slightly used shakle mounts that mount to the frame rails. What size bolts do I use to hang these to the frame?