1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adjustable Proportioning Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:10 PM
SWhetsel
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable Proportioning Valve?

Can I buy a adjustable proportioning valve and install it in place of the stock one? ( $40 vs the best price Ive found online for the stock one at $126 )

If so, how much pressure to the rear vs the front?

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2009, 08:46 PM
ol'dodge4x4
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default proportioning valve

sure, you can do that. IMHO, the factory prop valve is highly overated. It does not really reduce the pressure much but delays the pressure. just make sure you use the "small diameter" rear wheel cylinder made for the dodge P/U's. I believe they're 7/8 or 15/16 diameter. (smaller is better in back) Actually this has more of a proportioning effect, the difference between the small wheel cylinders in the back to the difference of the large caliper piston area in the front. Just run the front brake lines to a "T" and the rear brake line from the master straight to the rear brakes. Install the aftermarket prop valve somewhere in the rear line. To test for the proper proportioning, some actual experimenting will be required. Use a large abandined parking lot and adjust till the rear brakes wont lock up. May require an assistant.
Of course, you could find a prop valve in the junkyard, clean it up and use it. All this has been discussed in "Mopar Action" magazine.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:13 PM
SWhetsel
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advise but I just finished taking the plunge and got one for $119 online. Whatever I guess, I need to get this truck up and working online as soon as possible as it is my plow truck and I need to have it working by first snow.

Thanks!

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214650 was the site FYI or http://www.MOPARDISCOUNTPARTS.COM

Last edited by SWhetsel; 12-07-2009 at 09:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Adjustable Proportioning Valve?