1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

i got me a 78 d150.STEERING BOX FRAME CRACK??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:22 AM
chris015
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i got me a 78 d150.STEERING BOX FRAME CRACK??

so i found a nice running truck for 500 bucks,body/interior in mint shape.83k miles.It was dark outside when i bought it,drove it 81 miles home and the steering was INSANE all the way home,i figured it just needed adjustment. Well i get home and the next day im looking at it,the frame had cracked where the box mounts to it and they did a lousy job repairing it so im having to redo it.

I heard this is common with chevys and ive seen a few threads online about it. Hows my way on going about this? Im thinking 1/4 steel plate down the inside of the frame welded,then 1/8th steel on the steering box side and drill some holes afterwords to remount the box.

p.s. whats this steel going to cost me,i have not priced it in years

Old 01-17-2010, 11:41 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go to the scrap steel yard for the steel. It is sold by the pound and shouldn't cost but 10 bucks or so. Is the frame cracked or rusted thru? Is it the center section of the C-channel or the top and bottom or all three?

If it is cracked I would grind it down and weld the crack and that should be sufficient if you are a decent welder. If you want to reinforce after the crack is welded I would reinforce the inside of the channel only and drill the new back-up plate thru the existing holes in the frame. This way you don't change the position of the steering box.

If it is rusted thru reinforcement will be needed and i would first make a cardboard template to locate the holes properly after the work is finished. Then I would cut out the rusted section and replace it with sound 3/16 to 1/4 inch steel plate. Mark the hole location with your template and drill the new holes.

After the repair is finished but before the box is reinstalled I would put undercoating over the work area. Spray undercoating is readily available and cheap protection.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Ibleedmopar
Amateur

Originally Posted by SEAL
I would go to the scrap steel yard for the steel. It is sold by the pound and shouldn't cost but 10 bucks or so. Is the frame cracked or rusted thru? Is it the center section of the C-channel or the top and bottom or all three?

If it is cracked I would grind it down and weld the crack and that should be sufficient if you are a decent welder. If you want to reinforce after the crack is welded I would reinforce the inside of the channel only and drill the new back-up plate thru the existing holes in the frame. This way you don't change the position of the steering box.

If it is rusted thru reinforcement will be needed and i would first make a cardboard template to locate the holes properly after the work is finished. Then I would cut out the rusted section and replace it with sound 3/16 to 1/4 inch steel plate. Mark the hole location with your template and drill the new holes.

After the repair is finished but before the box is reinstalled I would put undercoating over the work area. Spray undercoating is readily available and cheap protection.

Very good advice here. The only thing i would add is that if it is cracked and you just need to weld it, make sure you drill a hole on each end of the crack then weld it shut. Otherwise I have seen the crack continue on past the weld point.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:58 AM
ol'dodge4x4
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, drill, weld, grind and backing plate to strengthen.(fully welded in place of course) Somewhat of a weakspot on dodge P/U's. Actually this would be a good idea even for guys WITHOUT cracking problems. Makes truck steer better. Less deflection.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:32 PM
lilred7879

And if you want some insurance you can install a brace on it like the factory did in the 80's.

http://www.dodgeconnection.com/catal...66/4541374.htm

Quick Reply: i got me a 78 d150.STEERING BOX FRAME CRACK??