1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1992 dodge ram popping stalling out

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 11:11 AM
92dram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 dodge ram popping stalling out

Hi i have a fuel injected 318 it will run fine all day at idle, going down the road feels like it has a loss of power throughout the rpms, pops through throttle body, sometimes it will restart other times it will not and you have to wait anywhere from a minute to hours. I have replaced, intake gasket, crank sensor three times to be sure its good, full tune up, pick up coil, brand new fuel pump has the correct amount of pressure i have also went through the motor wiring harness to look for broken or melted wiring and also replace the computer with another i had laying around. I do not know where else to look to find this problem and im pulling out my hair, any help would be great...thanks

Old 01-20-2010, 11:30 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

do you have a timing light? you should possibly check the timing.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:36 AM
92dram

I would not think its the timing cause when it decides to not be a ri-tard it runs like hell, its getting good spark and fuel and like i said pretty much everything is new except some emissions equipment

Old 01-20-2010, 01:49 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

have you checked the sensor in the distibutor.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:09 AM
92dram

i have found my problem after a bit of research, there is a bushing under the oil pump gear that the dist. sits in the bushing along with the gear were worn excessivly, there is a TSB about the stalling and popping. After replacing that, it quit the popping and backfiring now just running like crap only to find out that the egr has no valve in it at all its just letting exhaust flow in all the time so gotta wait for that to come in....other than that i have replaced alot of parts, fuel pump, filter, IAC valve, cleaned out the throttle body, intake gasket, tune-up, crank sensor, pick up coil, coil, O2 sensor, IAT sensor all new vacuum lines and probably some things i cant remember. Hopefully egr fixes this thing i have spent entirely too much money on this truck.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:54 PM
BMLudwig
Amateur

how hard of a fix was that bushing? Im having similar problem. any way to check it to see if its bad before replacing it>

Thanks,

Brian

Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 PM
John crooks

I had to replace the timing chain tensioner on my dakota, the joker was gone. After that it did run better, and check you indexing in the distributor maybe that will help

Quick Reply: 1992 dodge ram popping stalling out