1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A-727 reverse troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 04:47 AM
bigbraunboy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A-727 reverse troubles

Alrighty, so I have an 82 4X4 with a a-727 tranny that drives forward through all the gears fine, has a shift kit, but when you put in reverse engine idles down like it in gear, but when you go on the gas, nothing happen, almost like its in neutral, but it idles down like its in drive, now im wondering if possible that there might be a blockage, truck sat in my parents back yard for about 4 1/2 years, and when I decided to drive it again there was some sludge on the bottom of the pan, but i did replace all the fluids before drivin the old girl again, thank you for reading my posts any info is much appreciated. thank you

Old 03-05-2010, 05:59 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Her is some good info. About half way down is the reverse section about what goes on inside the tranny. If I had to guess it sounds like the reverse clutch is not disengaging in reverse and therefore both forward and reverse clutches are both engaging at the same time but only pressure checks can tell the story. It doesn't sound like breakage since it happened while sitting but something is sticking. You might try an additive and drive it around to see if it frees up. If you know of a good reputable trans shop you could drive it by there and talk to them. Talk is always free but if the additives don't work I think the tranny is coming apart to get reverse back.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmis...-tom-hand.html

Last edited by SEAL; 03-05-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:38 PM
bigbraunboy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome thanks Seal

Quick Reply: A-727 reverse troubles