1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil [dip stick?] question - 88 dodge ram d100 318 v8

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:12 PM
mjm1988
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie1935
My 87 318 has, the nearest I can measure, a 33" dipstick from the flange that seats on the tube and a 13 1/2" tube.
Is your dipstick tube on the front of the engine (close to the radiator grill)? Someone told me the "marine" version of this engine required a long dip stick and that it entered from the side of the engine and more toward the rear....food for thought. Right now I am running with the dip stick tube capped and NO dipstick - at least that takes the ambiguity out of the reading. Convinced that my 30+ inch dipstick is NOT the one - seems like something in the 25" range would be suitable, as that is what it appears to take to bottom out a coat hanger stuck in the tube. I don't drive the truck much, and plan to change the oil every 3000 miles, so figure unless I am burning a sh*t load of oil, should be okay...I know...GET THE DIPSTICK!!!

Old 11-25-2011, 09:21 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

it is a good idea to have a dip stick. i have about another 3000km until my next oil change and i was down about a litre maybe close to 2 and i always try to keep mine at the full line just to be safe.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:17 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjm1988
Is your dipstick tube on the front of the engine (close to the radiator grill)? Someone told me the "marine" version of this engine required a long dip stick and that it entered from the side of the engine and more toward the rear....food for thought. Right now I am running with the dip stick tube capped and NO dipstick - at least that takes the ambiguity out of the reading. Convinced that my 30+ inch dipstick is NOT the one - seems like something in the 25" range would be suitable, as that is what it appears to take to bottom out a coat hanger stuck in the tube. I don't drive the truck much, and plan to change the oil every 3000 miles, so figure unless I am burning a sh*t load of oil, should be okay...I know...GET THE DIPSTICK!!!
My dipstick is the right (passenger) front side of the motor.

Quick Reply: oil [dip stick?] question - 88 dodge ram d100 318 v8