1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how to get diagnostic codes 88 dodge ram 318

Old 05-03-2010, 04:58 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First make sure the wiring is OK.

Unplug the electrical connector, with the engine off, proceed to check the coolant temperature sensor with a standard ohmmeter by setting it on ohm x 1000, connect the positive and negative probes to both terminals on the sensor.

- The normal resistance on an engine at 50 to 80 degrees F = 2,200 to 2,700 ohms. As the sensor temperature INCREASES, the resistance value will DECREASE.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:00 PM
mjm1988
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SEAL
The maintenance required light is mileage driven and does not tell you anything. It takes a special tool at the dealer to turn it off. Ignore it until it burns out, pay the dealer to turn it off, or remove the bulb as I did.

To clear codes, disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes.

The 22 code is a problem as the computer uses the information output from the coolant temperature sensor to adjust timing and fuel.
On my 88 Dodge Ram D100 I did the following to clear the "Maintenance Required" light: 1) open glove box ALL THE WAY (release the plastic catches near the latch) - so the contents spill out onto the floor. 2) Look inside and to your right and you should see a blue box with a red connector. 3) You'll have to carefully work this box off of the flat metal post it is sitting on or unscrew it from the bottom. 4) You should be able to see a small white button in the workings - I used a piece of household copper wiring to run through the round hole in the top of this plastic box and push on the button - be VERY CAREFUL as this button is on a circuit board - push the button for a few seconds WHILE the key is in the RUN position....turn the truck off and, voila, the light, she no there no more...not for the faint of heart, but it DID work on my truck - not sure to which other models/years it may apply. Good luck!

Old 08-03-2010, 10:46 AM
oelfinger65

Hallo there,
can you please help me ...
What is code 45 ??

Old 08-03-2010, 03:56 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Code 45 is for the overdrive solenoid. It detects a short or open condition in the overdrive solenoid circuit in automatic transmissions.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:48 AM
oelfinger65
Default overdrive solenoid

Thank you very much for the fast answer.
Do I have to replace the overdrive solenoid or is it repairable?
I have a Dodge Ram Van B250 V6 239 ci.in. from 1994. I read the codes 22 and 45.
It seems that the coolant temperature sensor is broken. Does it work in relation with the overdrive solenoid? Do I have to change both.
Does the B250 from 1994 got an overdrive.

Best regards
Peter

Old 03-01-2015, 05:35 PM
Jonmartin2@yahoo
Default Need some help 89 Dodge Ram

I have a Dodge Ram 318, starting running rough spitting and stalling out. If I put my foot into the gas it will go but will not run smooth at a constant speed at times if sitting idle it stalls. The code says 12 which is saying about the battery which I did replace but other than that no codes . Not sure where to go from here. Can anyone give me some help on this? Thanks in advance for your time.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:18 AM
newtjr
Amateur
Default Coolant sensor

With the cold weather we are having now you may have a thermostat stuck open. This would affect your heater output. If not the spec's for testing the coolant sensor at 140 degrees to 245 degrees is from 176 to 3900 ohms. Sensor should be located near thermostat housing. Hopes this helps.
newtjr

Old 12-15-2019, 12:52 PM
RShan
Default Same issue, Did you ever figure out the problem with it? Thanks

I have an 89 b150
same issue, not running smoothly irregular acceleration and deceleration
originally thought it was bad gas
did ever figure out what the problem was?

Originally Posted by Jonmartin2@yahoo
I have a Dodge Ram 318, starting running rough spitting and stalling out. If I put my foot into the gas it will go but will not run smooth at a constant speed at times if sitting idle it stalls. The code says 12 which is saying about the battery which I did replace but other than that no codes . Not sure where to go from here. Can anyone give me some help on this? Thanks in advance for your time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to get diagnostic codes 88 dodge ram 318