1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'79 W150 Idles great but quickly dies under Load

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010 | 06:21 PM
79Beast82
|
Default '79 W150 Idles great but quickly dies under Load

Hey guys I have a '79ish dodge W-150 I just had my transmission rebuilt and new exhaust put on and I've been having problems with frequent engine stalls. She idles great in nuetral and park but once I put load on it the engine sputters and dies and I can't recover it. After she dies I turn the key and she fires right up like nothing happend. Any Help would be great. I'm gonna reset the Idle and timing hopefully that will help. Oh one more thing could this be caused by an incorrectly jetted carb? Thanks again

Old 05-02-2010 | 06:59 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

a buddy of mine had something similar in a carb'ed 85-ish dodge.
he had 3 different problems.

first problem was a ruptured evap cannister, and the carb sucked in the charcoal pellets.

2nd problem was the charcoal passed through the engine and clogged up the cat. it died on the road and would not restart.

3rd problem was the carb filled up with charcoal and would idle, but not accelerate.

or you could have a stopped up fuel filter.

we diagnosed the cat by disconnecting the exhaust from the manifold. this allowed it to run some. i opened the top of the carb to peek inside and found all the charcoal pellets. removed, cleaned, reinstalled carb; replaced cat and all was well.

Old 05-12-2010 | 11:35 PM
79Beast82
|
Default Help?

I replaced my fuel filter, distributor, rotor, spark plugs and alternator. Could this be some sort of transmission issue causing this. Also when I have my headlights on it happens more frequently. Any help would be awesome

Old 05-12-2010 | 11:52 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

your carb could need to be adjusted. you could try using a screw driver to hold the choke open and see if it help.

Old 05-13-2010 | 05:57 AM
SEAL
Champion

What problem caused you to rebuild the trans? Did you reuse the old torque converter? Do you trust the people that rebuilt the trans?

Quick Reply: '79 W150 Idles great but quickly dies under Load